Loss of my favourite chicken

I'm so sorry for you. I lost my sweetest hen a couple weeks back the day after her first egg to a hawk. It was a cute little fairy egg too, the first one I had gotten from any of the hens. Fancy was the only hen I had that would let me pet her, the others are all a bit skittish as I got them as pullets and not chicks, though they have been warming up to me.
Sending you ❤️. My black and white Polish disappeared 2 weeks ago and she was one my favorites. Polish are the best! Heartbroken. We couldn’t figure it out but then found a piece of broken Dig Defense so something came in and got her, and you know they are easy to sneak up on with those big crests. Your girl was a little beauty. So sorry for your loss.

Hi everyone,

Today I just discovered by counting the flock (and just noticing my cute chicken didn’t appear) that I was missing one chicken.
Turns out it was our favourite chicken… Fluffy. Fluffy was one of the first hatchlings we had here and was the only one who had fluffy feathers.
She was the only one we could pick up and cuddle… She wasn't even 1 year old and just started laying.

I’m devastated. Probably a fox took her as they free range, and I was a whole day on my laptop while I normally always spend a lot of time before windows, checking my chickens. I recall now also that she probably wasn’t in the henhouse last night, but I was so tired that the alarm bells didn’t immediately ring.

I lost 7 baby chicks before they hatched last year in April, and one of the ones that did hatch got eaten by a crow.
Fluffy and her sister were the ones that hatched and lived. I had another hatch and there was also a hatchling that didn’t make it.
She was so loved and so special and I have a hard time coping with it.

I’ve had chickens two times in the past as a child, who both died within 2 years (they got parasites but we had no knowledge about it).
After that we decided not to have chickens anymore, until the summer of 2022. I was so happy.
I still am happy with my chickens, but I don’t know if I’m capable of handling the loss.
I sometimes still cry over the baby chicks I lost last year.

I’ve searched everywhere for her, but she is nowhere to be found.

I’m just sharing this because most of my friends don’t understand why I’m so attached to 'chickens'. I’m always the 'dramatic' one in most friend groups regarding animals. I cry for mice, chickens, even rats when my cat catches them before my eyes.
I figured that most people on this platform would understand how I feel. I feel horrible. I’m so bad at coping with these things lol.

Sorry for rambling, I just had to share it somewhere where people would understand how I feel.
The fact that I will not see her ever again in this earthly life, just breaks my heart so badly.

I am so sorry for making this post so long, my heart is just so heavy and I miss her so dearly.
Thanks for everyone who understands.
A few pictures of my beloved Fluffy, from baby chick to an adult hen (I lost a few video’s and pictures of her but the memories are with me);
What sweet photos. So very sorry for your loss. As I mentioned in another comment I lost Flower, my sweet Polish hen 2 weeks ago. Some people say oh it’s just a chicken. But it’s not. Not to people who love their chickens like pets. Sending ❤️ to you!

I am so sorry for your loss. I had to have my vet put down my favorite today. She was almost 4. Pinot, the sweetest brown IPA ever in fact, the sweetest chicken ever. My heart breaks for you as well, but no, you’re not alone and know you’re one of the fortunate ones who has the chance to experience th the joy that these girls bring to us. Sending hugs.

Thank you all for those kind comments! It warms my heart so much.
I didn’t check on all the replies as I was a leader on a youth camp for a couple of days… And I got quite an update on Fluffy… I don’t know how to edit my original threat but when I came back home, I checked on my chickens when out of nowhere a wild filthy chicken appeared….FLUFFY. I have not a single idea HOW or WHY but madam here just disappeared for a whole week and my family members also didn’t see her, and I’m sure they would since we all loved Fluffy very deeply. I got sick, so I was a bit overwhelmed by just her appearing out of nowhere, but for everyone reading this…. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW SHE’S JUST FINE AND ALL. I’m really telling you that there are foxes. Our neighbours ALWAYS had foxes. She was nowhere to be found. My dad and I looked EVERYWHERE. I think I should start a new threat lmao… My heart broke for a chicken that actually was doing quite okay lol!!

Thank you all for those kind comments! It warms my heart so much.
I didn’t check on all the replies as I was a leader on a youth camp for a couple of days… And I got quite an update on Fluffy… I don’t know how to edit my original threat but when I came back home, I checked on my chickens when out of nowhere a wild filthy chicken appeared….FLUFFY. I have not a single idea HOW or WHY but madam here just disappeared for a whole week and my family members also didn’t see her, and I’m sure they would since we all loved Fluffy very deeply. I got sick, so I was a bit overwhelmed by just her appearing out of nowhere, but for everyone reading this…. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW SHE’S JUST FINE AND ALL. I’m really telling you that there are foxes. Our neighbours ALWAYS had foxes. She was nowhere to be found. My dad and I looked EVERYWHERE. I think I should start a new threat lmao… My heart broke for a chicken that actually was doing quite okay lol!!

Glad to hear the story has a happy ending!

Hi everyone,

Today I just discovered by counting the flock (and just noticing my cute chicken didn’t appear) that I was missing one chicken.
Turns out it was our favourite chicken… Fluffy. Fluffy was one of the first hatchlings we had here and was the only one who had fluffy feathers.
She was the only one we could pick up and cuddle… She wasn't even 1 year old and just started laying.

I’m devastated. Probably a fox took her as they free range, and I was a whole day on my laptop while I normally always spend a lot of time before windows, checking my chickens. I recall now also that she probably wasn’t in the henhouse last night, but I was so tired that the alarm bells didn’t immediately ring.

I lost 7 baby chicks before they hatched last year in April, and one of the ones that did hatch got eaten by a crow.
Fluffy and her sister were the ones that hatched and lived. I had another hatch and there was also a hatchling that didn’t make it.
She was so loved and so special and I have a hard time coping with it.

I’ve had chickens two times in the past as a child, who both died within 2 years (they got parasites but we had no knowledge about it).
After that we decided not to have chickens anymore, until the summer of 2022. I was so happy.
I still am happy with my chickens, but I don’t know if I’m capable of handling the loss.
I sometimes still cry over the baby chicks I lost last year.

I’ve searched everywhere for her, but she is nowhere to be found.

I’m just sharing this because most of my friends don’t understand why I’m so attached to 'chickens'. I’m always the 'dramatic' one in most friend groups regarding animals. I cry for mice, chickens, even rats when my cat catches them before my eyes.
I figured that most people on this platform would understand how I feel. I feel horrible. I’m so bad at coping with these things lol.

Sorry for rambling, I just had to share it somewhere where people would understand how I feel.
The fact that I will not see her ever again in this earthly life, just breaks my heart so badly.

I am so sorry for making this post so long, my heart is just so heavy and I miss her so dearly.
Thanks for everyone who understands.
A few pictures of my beloved Fluffy, from baby chick to an adult hen (I lost a few video’s and pictures of her but the memories are with me);
I'm sorry for your loss!I've had many animals in my life from sugar gliders, ferrets,and 13' snakes list goes on!Now I'm older and a 1 year chicken dad!I never thought I would get attached to my chickens the way I have,and let me tell you this first year has been rough,my first lost was my favorite chicken she followed me everywhere giving me all the gossip of the coop every day when she passed I was devastated had a hard time caring for the rest of the flock for awhile but they needed me! Watching her bestie be devastated also broke my heart my little silkie still looks for her bestie to this day!It hasn't been the same since but I know how you feel it's crazy!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230826-234052.png
    Screenshot_20230826-234052.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20231031_185719241_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231031_185719241_HDR.jpg
    464.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20231101_160349156.jpg
    IMG_20231101_160349156.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom