Are chickens "racist"???

mikaylahsica

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2015
Seems like such a ridiculous thing to ask. But, my larger chickens only peck at the lightly colored chicks I added. I added 6 chicks to their group of five about a month ago. The chicks were fully feathered but aren't full grown. My chickens haven't pecked at the darker color chicks (they're all dark except my Amber White, but she's large so they don't bully her and she isn't a bully also!), but they totally destroyed my white baby. The poor thing. I thought it would blow over and they were just establishing the pecking order, but then I went down to feed and she was completely destroyed.
She has indeed made a great recovery thanks to a $15 dollar spray I got from Tractor Supply! She isn't fully recovered but surely getting there, after almost meeting her death bed. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and if it's because of the light color.

Chickens aren't racist, sexist, or xenophobic for that matter. Those would be human qualities that chickens aren't "smart" enough to have . It could be that she is just different (white in this case) and also is an easy target. Once she bleeds that bright red on white feathers will draw a lot of attention.

Chickens aren't racist, sexist, or xenophobic for that matter.  Those would be human qualities that chickens aren't "smart" enough to have .  It could be that she is just different (white in this case) and also is an easy target.  Once she bleeds that bright red on white feathers will draw a lot of attention.
Thank you! I just thought it was crazy that they only went after the light colored ones. Maybe it's since their food is lightly colored? Once my chick is fully healed, do I need to wait till all feather grow back to put her back in the coop? Will she be okay? She's awfully lonely even though there's a pen with younger chickens next to her. She just looks so depressed. She misses her pals but can't see them because they try to eat her.

I don't know what you have for pens so here is a shot. Keep your recovering bird in a separate pen and introduce birds into her pen but just one at a time every other day. If you have known trouble makers mix them in last. That way she wont be blasted by all the other birds at once. As the number of birds increases in the pen the current members will focus their attention to the newest bird instead of her.

Chickens aren't racist, sexist, or xenophobic for that matter.  Those would be human qualities that chickens aren't "smart" enough to have .  It could be that she is just different (white in this case) and also is an easy target.  Once she bleeds that bright red on white feathers will draw a lot of attention.

Nope every breed acts somewhat like their own breed, so they'll stick together more often. And at time one group could piss off the other and start something similar to racism.

Back
Top Bottom