Are hawks and raccoons the only decapitators ?

ChristinLewin

Chirping
Jun 25, 2020
Actually now that I think about it, owls eat heads off as well. . . So wasteful.

ANYWHO - a little over a week ago we had a nighttime attack, 3 chicks were maimed enough to be culled, 2 went completely missing and we found feathers about 50 yards away, near the base of the tree and 2 additional chicks were injured but treated and put back into the flock. At the time, we set 2 traps baited with 2 of the Culled chicks and sure enough, that night we caught a great horned owl on the trail cam around 2:30am. He was perched on top of the trap, checking out the live choices in the tractor
AD61AD3B-795A-48ED-827E-EFD6F01CACE1.jpeg

nothing went missing that night, the culled bait chicken sat out another night and then we had to remove it (what was left, at least).

the owl very well could have been at the wrong place at the wrong time and the actual predator was a fox or raccoon, especially with the injuries I noted before culling the chicks :(
It’s worth noting that the night the owl was caught on camera, one of the bait chicks was missing but the trap not triggered. Can an owl do that?

It has been a quiet week until yesterday morning. Woke up to a neighbor at my door telling me there’s a dead headless chicken and a pile of feathers. He said when he walked out of his house, “a huge grey bird flew out of the fence” and up in the tree. By the time I got outside to see the damage, the predator had left and flown up to a tree above us so we tried to make out what type of bird it was (owl or hawk) But we couldn’t get a good visual on the bird and it flew off.

Options :
1. Raccoon killed it, ripped off head and left it there, and hawk came to Steal the carcass. I don’t know when the killing happened but we opened the tractor at 8am and the neighbor rang the bell at 9:50am. We have a mama raccoon with 7-8 babies nearby, so perhaps?

2. Hawk, plain and simple. Not related to the other deaths at the same spot last week. Worth noting that I’ve raised hundreds of chickens in the same spot every year and never lost a chick to a hawk up near the house. Lost plenty to hawks in the back 40 but those are much bigger chickens and that was before we had massive roosters as protectors.

3. Owl. But, do owls ever hunt at night and wouldn’t the owl just swoop it up and take it somewhere else to pick feathers off and eat?

We put the trap and camera out last night in case it’s the raccoon but nothing came to investigate. Nothing on camera.

Here is a picture of the decapitated chicken in case someone else can get other clues from the injuries. It looks very “clean” without any noticeable blood which also left me wondering.

31C0D77B-4107-4E1F-A2C3-670A29BB8066.jpeg

6E5BA41F-5C93-4E99-9B66-09D1479C9606.jpeg

anyone have any ideas?

This happened when they were outside of the tractor in the yard free ranging with an electric fence surrounding them. Would an owl do that in mid morning?

This happened when they were outside of the tractor in the yard free ranging with an electric fence surrounding them. Would an owl do that in mid morning?
In my experience (more than I’d like) the worst times of day for owl attacks is just at dusk or right at dawn. I finally installed an automatic door and it has stopped them. They would just go right into the coop and help themselves. Not anymore! :mad:

I see what looks like slobber on feathers around shoulders. Meat and bones look gnawed on.

Critters that I have seen remove head. None do it every time.
Great-horned Owl (usual approach)
Raccoon (kills by making less than ideal bites to head and neck)
Red Fox (big birds that struggle a lot and sometimes when frustrated trying to lighten load)
Mink (I have had only a handful of kills from these guys)
Red-tailed Hawk (seldom)

When head removed, predator not being wasteful. Most of time predator will come back to get balance of carcass. You take carcass, then predator like owl goes after another. When owl is perp, which I do not think is the case in this instance, will come back to feed on successive nights until carcass light enough to fly with or too nasty. If I suspect my barrier is not good enough to stop bad guy, then carcass is left in place. I am also the type of low life that likes to use cameras to get a better idea what is going on.

In my experience (more than I’d like) the worst times of day for owl attacks is just at dusk or right at dawn. I finally installed an automatic door and it has stopped them. They would just go right into the coop and help themselves. Not anymore! :mad:
I wanted to add that my run is fully covered with bird netting and the owls were just blowing through it, sometimes having a hard time figuring out how to get back out! I don't want anyone to think I didn't try to prevent this at all. We worked really hard to stop the raptor problem, but big raptors aren't stopped by netting. It keeps the little ones out like Sharp-Shinned hawks. The automatic door was the only way to stop the Great Horned Owls.

Back
Top Bottom