Are my chickens sick?? they laid a black egg!!

i think i would have to try to hatch it - i wonder if you could cultivate a breed of black layers or if it's purely external & wouldn't influence the bird.

I think this is normal but who knows because the chicken itself is black.....i too have 2 black pullets ,they haven't started laying yet,,,,thats why i say i think its kinda ordinary because it is black from toe to head i will just have to wait and see .....just check on its behavior whether its strange or not and see if it will continue laying black eggs.....my advice is to separate it so you could know its eggs ,,but i think it will continue or maybe it was a confusion in the reproductive system but wait and see ...maybe its not sick

I think this is normal but who knows because the chicken itself is black.....i too have 2 black pullets ,they haven't started laying yet,,,,thats why i say i think its kinda ordinary because it is black from toe to head i will just have to wait and see .....just check on its behavior whether its strange or not and see if it will continue laying black eggs.....my advice is to separate it so you could know its eggs ,,but i think it will continue or maybe it was a confusion in the reproductive system but wait and see ...maybe its not sick
Welcome to BYC!

-Kathy

I am going to take a Crack at this with my limited chicken experience.You said your chickens /pullets are just starting to lay. and its a real big egg.
When my pullets lay there first eggs they come out all strange Small, big, soft shells.strange colors .double yolks.
Well heres my guess. Its blood. this young chicken bleed on this egg and stained it. or it is a combination of old poop and blood.
Because this young chicken Didn't Know how to lay that giant egg!
ep.gif

Look up Ayam Cemani chickens. They’re very rare and it’s possible that one of your hens carries the gene for their melanosis (I think that’s how it’s spelt). If you look at your ladies and see who has dark red, dark brown, or even black earlobes you may have your culprit! If this is so, the eggs are perfectly fine to eat and may only occur once in a blue moon, so hatch the eggs to carry on the genetic mutation! Or eat the egg and treat yourself!

Back
Top Bottom