Are my chicks too crowded??

crumptz

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 22, 2012
Mountain View, CA
I have my 5 chicks in a rubbermaid tub. My coops not done yet... So: 1. do I need to get a bigger box? 2. How long do I have till I need that coop?
My RIR is a week older than the other gals. They are about 2 weeks old.

They are definitely crowded in there. You'll need that coop in a couple weeks. If you have a spare bathtub to use, I would convert it into a temporary brooder. Just line it with newspaper or puppy pads for easy cleanup.

My chicks started feather pulling at three weeks and we doubled the size of their brooder. I'd say have a plan in place. Also, it is harder to break them of problems than prevent them.

they look kind of crowded in there, get them a big box from your home improvement store and if you need more space just tape another box right beside that one an make a hole in between. till the coop is ready
yesss.gif

I have to agree they do look a bit crowded and when they get 2 weeks old it seems like they double in size over night I second the box idea I use a pallet box to brood my chicks in and when they get to big for that i set up the baby pen in the shop for them

Chicks can go out of the brooder from 3-5 weeks depending on external temps.
Your new box should have enough space so they can get out of the heat from the lamp.
Also do not forget to reduce the brooder temp by roughly 5 degrees per week, 95, 90, 85, 80, 75, into the coop!

I went to Home Depot and bought 2 of their extra large cardboard shipping boxes. I believe they were 24" x 24" each. I folded each box up and cut one side off each and taped them together
with HVAC silver tape. It made the box 2 x 4', and they did great until they went outside. The boxes were $1.97 each.

You could also buy the extra large rubbermaid tubs, but they run about 20 bucks each.

Thanks for the info! I was away on business a few days, and when I returned I think my chics doubled in size! I noticed they were pecking each other. I'm a rookie, so couldn't tell if they were preening each other or something else was going on. Tonight I thought they were getting crowded. They are in an oversized tupperware bin (big kind for storage with wheels about 3X the size that Crumptz shows), but they are starting to look cramped. Good idea about the Home Depot boxes! I'm finishing up the coop, but need to get moving seeing how big these birds are getting. My Cornish Hens are HUGE compared to my RIR's...obviously, but I'm shocked at the difference!

Back
Top Bottom