Are my eggs fertilized?

Jun 25, 2017
we have some hens that just recently started laying eggs. I know how to tell if they are rotten or not but how can I tell if they are fertilized? We do have a rooster.

Also by any chance does anyone have a picture of a silky and a tophatters chicks we have one of each and we think if they have baby's they'll look so cute!:p

I've never heard that you can tell if eggs are fertile by candling them. http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2015/02/are-my-chicken-eggs-fertile.html shows you how to tell a cracked fertile egg from a cracked non fertile egg. I generally just put them under a hen and candle them after a week. If I see nothing, I assume they're still good and eat them. If one egg is fertile, the great majority of them probably are.

Yeah I guess I left that detail out. Candling only works after a period of incubation. Cracking the eggs would be best if you want to know right away.

Crack an egg you think might be fertile next to an egg that is not fertile (store bought egg).

The fertile egg will have a bullseye in the middle of the yolk. Look carefully for a little white spot. Unfertilized do not have the bullseye. It's pretty easy once you know what to look for.

Back
Top Bottom