are my hens holding out or am I missing something?

honestly i find that the egg estimates most websites display are lower then they actually produce. it could just be me but the hybrids deffinetly lay atleast 5 eggs a week

Well, 5 eggs a week multiplied by 52 weeks would be 260 eggs a year. That would be about in the middle of their estimates for Red and Black Sex Links.

You may be right, though. A hatchery doesn't want to promise 300 eggs a year and have a person be disappointed when a hen produces 250 eggs a year. If a hen produces more eggs, then everyone is happy.

Well, 5 eggs a week multiplied by 52 weeks would be 260 eggs a year. That would be about in the middle of their estimates for Red and Black Sex Links.

You may be right, though. A hatchery doesn't want to promise 300 eggs a year and have a person be disappointed when a hen produces 250 eggs a year. If a hen produces more eggs, then everyone is happy.
exactly my point. but the hybrids deffinetly do not dissapoint. do u breed an chickens?? i am currently debating on whether or not to breed blue laced red wyandottes and barred rocks. i love the patterns on the show quality ones. i want to do it more as a hobby but it should be fun!

exactly my point. but the hybrids deffinetly do not dissapoint. do u breed an chickens?? i am currently debating on whether or not to breed blue laced red wyandottes and barred rocks. i love the patterns on the show quality ones. i want to do it more as a hobby but it should be fun!

No, I do not breed chickens. Maybe one day.

It is good to pick breeds that you enjoy to breed and show. I have always thought it would also be good to select breeds that are not common to help increase their numbers. I think if I was going to breed I would choose Black Java and Mottled Java because I like them and they are on The Livestock Conservancy's threatened list.

I have 4 hens (2 Brahmas, 1 sussex and 1 white bresse) they all are about year old. They aren't showing signs of molting yet (from what I've read)

During the work day I normally let them free range without supervision from 7 am until 5pm. On the weekends I wait until let them out to give my yard to the dogs for a while. They tend to be afternoon layers.

So, yeah I'm gonna run my test for a couple days keeping them cooped up. I feel fairly confident they do return to lay but since I don't watch them while free ranging, I guess anything is possible.

I looked up Breese. It seems this is a French breed of chicken highly valued for its meat. Many people say Breese is the best tasting chicken in the world. I am guessing that the Breese is not good for laying eggs, though.

Finally seeing results from adding light, it took about 2 weeks or so. I went out to my comet coop yesterday and there were 4 humongous eggs waiting for me!! I am now a firm believer in adding light for egg production. I went in hour intervals of adding the light, took maybe 10 days to get back to 14 hours of light per day.

Back
Top Bottom