Are my hens of age to start laying?

Mine just turned 16 weeks and I am officially on egg watch now. My australorps have gotten pretty red in the face, so I am hoping soon.
thumbsup.gif

This is a great picture. I assume from you description of your birds that this is your blue Marans Pullet. She will have a red ear lobe when she is mature. If you look at it now it still looks sort of white. When she is ready to lay it will turn bright red. It will be just as red as her comb and wattles. Watch for that and then you will know when they are about to lay. Marans seem to take 24-26 weeks to start laying.

Yes, That is my Blue Copper Maran. So that light pink spot is her ear lobe? I will defiantly keep checking to see when it gets bright red. Is that the same for all of the pullets or just the Marans? I'll have to go look at my other pullets to see how they are coming along to then.

Yes, That is my Blue Copper Maran. So that light pink spot is her ear lobe? I will defiantly keep checking to see when it gets bright red. Is that the same for all of the pullets or just the Marans? I'll have to go look at my other pullets to see how they are coming along to then.

The general rule is that chickens who lay brown eggs have red ear lobes and ones who lay white eggs have white earlobes. There are some exceptions to this rule, but they are rare. And yes that is her earlobe.

YAY!!! LOL!!!

Lacey my blue copper maran in the picture above laid her first egg today!! She is also the first in the flock to lay an egg so my next question is how long do I leave it in the nesting box? or should I take it out right away??

Back
Top Bottom