Are my hens roosters?

The top one looks like a young pullet - probably not old enough yet to lay. The bottom one is either a laying hen or a young cockerel - I can't see the photo well enough to tell if there is development of saddle or hackle feathers.

There is a settling in period whenever a chook is moved from one home to another. Sometimes they will stop laying for several weeks until they adapt to their new surroundings so even if they are both laying hens, it may be some time before they are ready to lay for you.

After reading someones thread on hackles and saddle feathers I have had a good look at her and I think she's a she. Unless of course she starts to crow! I will be wait a little longer for the eggs and just enjoy them. Very hot here in Perth Western Australia at the moment so enjoyed the advice on the site on keeping the girls cool. Thanks for a great website and the support, I'm new to looking after chooks so will find it a great resource.

They look to be classic sex link hens. The bottom one should start laying in the next few weeks, the top one isn't close to laying at all. I'd guess each of them around 4ish months, they just develop differently.

Back
Top Bottom