Are my Lavender Orpingtons Pullets?

Here is some recent photos. They are now about 4 1/2 months old. The big one has started growing a comb and waddles and it seems as he may be getting his saddle feathers in soon. He also has a bright red face and looks more "manly". I believe he is the rooster. He doesn't crow but stands more tall than the other one. The little one hasn't grown much and hasn't grown any waddles or a comb. I am hoping it is a pullet but still might be too early to tell.

The larger one is obviously a rooster. How about a better pic of the smaller bird? A profile shot would help. I think I can see hackle and saddle feathers, but really can't be sure with the angle.

Please keep us posted. I'm very interested in what you have. Just received my order of lavender babies last week (18 chicks). Would love to figure out which ones are boy and which ones are girls before Thanksgiving.

the large one we still believe is a rooster, although he still does not crow and is still afraid of the hens. He is like a big baby, and not giving us any problems so far. The smaller one is a hen.

Here is some recent photos. They are now about 4 1/2 months old. The big one has started growing a comb and waddles and it seems as he may be getting his saddle feathers in soon. He also has a bright red face and looks more "manly". I believe he is the rooster. He doesn't crow but stands more tall than the other one. The little one hasn't grown much and hasn't grown any waddles or a comb. I am hoping it is a pullet but still might be too early to tell.
The larger one is obviously a rooster. How about a better pic of the smaller bird? A profile shot would help. I think I can see hackle and saddle feathers, but really can't be sure with the angle.
I'm still saying you have a pair. They look just like my lavendar Orpington's :)

Here's a pic of mine

Last edited:
We have 4 Lav Orp chicks who are 7 weeks old. I'll take some pics here in a bit and post them so you can all guess on mine!
wink.png
I have heard that pullets have longer tail feathers than the roos when they're young. Has anyone else noticed that sign?

Back
Top Bottom