Are Possums Dangerous to Chickens ??

bkreugar

Songster
11 Years
Jun 18, 2008
Asheboro NC
The wife brought home 6 baby chicks back in March. She had been threatening to do so for years. We still have 5 of them. I built a Villa for them (about 24 square feet with lots of perch poles throughout) and a 12X24 fenced in area that I have as yet not enclosed completely (The top isn't done yet but the walls and gate are done).

Well anyway, this evening I thought I saw a cat climbing the fence (bad news I'm sure) and as got closer I realized it was a possum. I ran it off for now but I'm sure it will be back

We don't have any eggs yet so that isn't a concern but possums are pretty vicious creatures. Are they a threat to the chickens ?

Originally we were locking them in the coop at night but for the last couple of nights we have been leaving the coop doors open.

We are brand new to this forum and any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Always lock them up in a predator proof coop at night.

There are possums living on my property along with lots of other predators, but I lock my chickens up at night and have had no losses due to predators.

Okay thanks we JUST closed them all up snug.They will be less happy in the morning to not be able to come and go as they please but they will be SAFE!

'Possum are of the devil. I hate the things. We just caught one on the motion-sensor camera outside our chicken-yard last night. 'Possum and raccoons are the main reason we went full-bore with electric fence around the chicken yard.

How is your possum situation now? Ours has gotten worse. This cold and snowy winter has them looking for easier sources of food and water. We routinely let our chickens into the garden in winter to scratch it up and eat weed seeds. For the past few evenings our dog has gone berserk up by the back garden fence. We couldn't see anything in the dark, but today we saw it. A black-backed possum was on the top of the fence, which is partially obscured by a shrub. It was out early this evening, just before dusk. Our chickens were unaware of the danger and calmly filed out through the garden gate and down the hill toward their coop. Because of our dog, the possum was playing possum as it draped itself over the fence. It didn't fool me because its claws were firmly engaged in the fencing and it followed me with its beady eyes.
I decided the possum should be dispatched. I used my .22 rifle. Death was quick. The chickens never even looked back.

Possums have a very hard time in winter, and will turn up even in daytime at this time of year if the snow and cold are bad (like this winter!) . They will kill chickens if they can, and eat eggs and chicks. They also carry a very bad disease that affects horses. I trap and shoot any that try to live in the barn or invade the coop. Mary

Back
Top Bottom