Are red golden Pheasants easier to tame?

QuailMan6666

Songster
Mar 11, 2023
Are red golden and yellow pheasants easier to tame than Ringneck pheasants? Does anybody have experience with these ornamental pheasants?

Goldens will tame down more than ring necked pheasants, just depends on how much and how often you handle them as chicks until adult....even then you may or may not be able to tame them....they haven't been domesticated like chickens. They are still semi wild birds. Unsalted treats may help in taming, mealworms, peanuts, sunflower seeds, etc.

Goldens will tame down more than ring necked pheasants, just depends on how much and how often you handle them as chicks until adult....even then you may or may not be able to tame them....they haven't been domesticated like chickens. They are still semi wild birds. Unsalted treats may help in taming, mealworms, peanuts, sunflower seeds, etc.
What is the lifespan of a healthy female red golden pheasant that is taken well care of and is safe from predators?

On average 6 to 10 years....maybe longer? Hens usually don't have the same lifespan as a cockbird does. I have a few males that are 14 years old, the hens are 8 years. 10 years is the longest I've had so far. Some might not make even a year, just depends on a whole lot of uncontrollable senerios.

On average 6 to 10 years....maybe longer? Hens usually don't have the same lifespan as a cockbird does. I have a few males that are 14 years old, the hens are 8 years. 10 years is the longest I've had so far. Some might not make even a year, just depends on a whole lot of uncontrollable senerios.
Thanks!

I have incubated some ring necked pheasants and raised them up from chicks. They can be tamed and let you pet them during bedtime but it depends on their personality. Males pheasants are tend to be nervous and don't like to be petted. Female pheasants are relatively chilled but don't expect them to be tame like chicken. They usually get less nervous in a group. You can train them to come back with some mealworms. When a calm pheasant come to you for food, the other will follow to get food from your hand.

Can I use an elastic and stretchable tether attached to the pheasant’s leg for training purposes? Or should a use a harness?

Back
Top Bottom