Are there seasons predators are more common??

Sobek

Songster
Aug 12, 2018
orlando florida
I free range my babies, I listen and watch them constantly. I will run if I hear them cry. I'm terrified of them getting hurt. So are Hawks and falcons or any other avian predator more common in some seasons vs others?? Like I just thought about it... What if like mating season causes them to hunt more?? I mean that sounds right but maybe some type of migration if they even do that??? I don't know anything about it but maybe I could put a mannequin outside? To watch over my chickens...

It would be nice to know your general area, location. You can post in on your profile. This would help. Here in North America, I live in Canada allot of raptors migrate to more southerly areas. So if you are in one of those area you will have a higher concentration. The reverse will happen in the spring. So you could have a local population in the summer then a slight increase after the hatch and then the migrants would move through or even stay the winter depending on your location.
If you are talking about land predators like raccoons they awake early spring after hibernation looking for food and raising there young next thing the mothers bring all their young out teaching them where to find food. From this time on they are likely one of the most dangerous predators a BYC owner will face. These family units are a KILLING MACHINE as they pack on weight into the fall in preparation for hibernation. If they get into your coop they will often kill every last bird. A mink will do the same thing.

A mannequin might help but a non moving mannequin is just another part of the landscape. I used to raise pigeons and I had a hawk take one while I was standing there. A person standing on the ground is NO THREAT to a raptor.

As a young man I could not pay a raptor enough money to get it to sit quietly on a telephone pole or a power line when a car or pickup truck drove down the road.

There were too many free range chicken keepers back then and to a man or woman they would rather shoot hawks off the power lines and telephone poles as look at a hawk.

Now hawks have a very different opinion about humans and they only see us as the source of toothsome morsels of chicken flesh.

In my area, I have the most hawk activity this time of year. Most are migrating or are young ones looking for new territories. Bald eagles are a problem late winter/early spring. I think that is because most of the river is frozen during that time. Come spring, you can always count on the fox to make life a living hell until about mid June. You can always tell which predators are most common seasonally by the posts in this forum as well.

My experience with hawks are they are more likely to get a chicken in my area after the leaves fall off the trees in November.
That's the only time I had a Hawk attack in 28 Months. Lots of coverage when leaves are on the trees.
I've also noticed they are flying around more in the morning and early afternoon. Less so late afternoon. A 7 month old pullet was attacked late morning in November by a Coopers Hawk in their open pen nearly 2 years ago. She survived. No attacks since.
I let them out to free range an hour before sunset daily, weather permitting. GC

Last edited:
I have had a young Red Tail and an adult Red Tail lately that I have seen most every day. I'm sure if they have the chance they will take a bird. A couple of times in years past a hawk killed a bird not 10 feet from me and another time flew in and grabbed one of my chicks that were in a small pen right next to me.

I've begun to gauge the upcoming seasonal changes by the predator pressure on our flock. We are semi-suburban (meaning housing creep has set in) and with it the predators are changing.
All summer we have had red tail Hawks using our fields to hunt in, and to teach their chick to hunt also. I've not free ranged since April because of this. Also a trio of kestrels... which to me are a lot more dangerous as they can fit where Hawks cannot.
And don't forget owls! They're now more active with the light change being earlier...
The Hawks usually move elsewhere by November, to where the river doesn't freeze over. But they've taken a lot of squirrels in our area. Kestrels are new to the area so I can't say what they'll do.

In Upstate NY, I notice more predatory birds during migration. Fox, Coyote etc..seem to be more bold in the winter, coming out in the daytime. Maybe because their prey is getting harder to find. And also in spring. Maybe because they have babies.
Coons, possum and the like are worrisome all year long.
Altho, an easy meal is an easy meal so chickens are always at risk when free ranging. To free range, you kinda have to accept that you might have some losses. I would rather have my girls live a good, happy, free-ish lifestyle than keep them in the same area day after day.

While there are seasonal issues depending on location, never assume that it really matters all that much. Everyone loves chicken, any month of the year!
You won't see bears in January up north, but otherwise, most predators are around at some level all year. Dogs from next door, raptors, raccoons, etc.
Build a Ft. Knox coop, and the safest run you can, and free range, realizing that you will have predator attacks sometimes.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom