Are these actually Welsummers?

Have you sent the hatchery recent pictures? I'm thinking something like a New Hampshire, with the colombian type markings.

Have you sent the hatchery recent pictures? I'm thinking something like a New Hampshire, with the colombian type markings.

NH's are patterned like RIR as chicks, maybe a shade lighter, and the immature birds are much lighter than her pics, so definitely not pure NH's.

I think they look the New Hampshire's as well, but of course the NH chicks are yellowish and they are lighter. I have 2 NH pullets just 2 weeks younger and they feather out differently, too.
I'm going to email the hatchery today. I sure do like how these chickens look and their temperament. Very nice birds.
I'll keep you posted.

That's true, pure RIR or the regular sex-links would be a uniform colored chick, that's why I asked about the chick coloring. I don't know of any pure breed that has wild-type chick down (the chipmunk stripes) and feathers out a uniform red like that. Doesn't mean a breed like that doesn't exist, just not one I'm familiar with. It would not be hard to imagine a cross that would produce an outcome like that, for example a Rhodebar chick has stripes, but should also show barring on the feathers, but a cross that avoids the barring could retain the wild-type down.
This is kind of the kicker, isn't it? I was thinking maybe red broilers, but again, yellow chicks. I'd be interested to see what the hatchery says.

I emailed them again and this time they still say they look like and are Welsummers. Has anyone else had Welsummers and can remember the way they colored out?
I've had 1 and I don't remember how she feathered out.
I sold one of the roosters to a nice lady yesterday and he is doing great with the new hens so far.

[/IMG][/IMG]

I don't think they are Welsummers....here's my pair with pics from about 2 weeks to 7-8 weeks that I got from a local 'breeder'.....tho I don't know the source lineage.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom