Are these budgies boys or girls?

Now that I see the new photos, the blue one looks less male and the yellow one more male.

But they are both recessive pieds, and I have found the recessive pieds to show more ambiguity in their ceres. So it may be necessary to wait until they reach their first molt. Keep in mind that a male recessive pied will never get a deep blue cere. It will stay more of a lavender, pink, or flesh color. With or without white rings around the cere. So when sexing recessive pieds, you pretty much have to wait for the females to develop their brown breeding condition cere. If they grow all the way up and never experience the brown cycle of a female, then they are male.

Thank you Poultry master 1 and Fannie! I'll give them unisex names to be on the safe side! The yellow one started singing now though! Can't wait until the aren't scared anymore!

They are way too young to tell. I have a 2 year old male with a bright pink cere like your blue bird, and I have a female of 2 years with a light blue cere with white rings around her nostrils. At about 10+ months old they will mature enough to know for sure...

I thought my male was a female for sure until the 2 had 5 babies!

The "Cute Little Birdies Aviary" website has lots of information about sexing budgies (the drop down menus can be a bit frustrating to navigate though). We just recently bought my Mum a pair of young budgies and it's been a very helpful website. Hope you're enjoying your cuties as much as she is.

Thank you el ellenlhu and JaeG. I will check that out. The blue( gizmo)sings bobs head and feeds the yellow/green (skittles). Skittles grooms gizmo but squaks and screeches and is kinda mean!lol

Back
Top Bottom