Are these male saddle feathers?

PurplePlum

Chirping
Mar 20, 2023
I have 7 week chicks. One of them is an obvious male, his comb was red at 5.5 weeks, his wing, neck and back feathers were slow to develop, he’s huge, etc. Are the feathers that are growing along his back the male saddle feathers or do they grow in later? (He’s the red one in the pic). If they are, does that mean the other birds with backs full of round saddle feathers are definitely pullets or do I still need to hold my breath 😂?

Attachments

• 15C0A956-A0C5-4C0C-BAFC-D098FCF08A7C.jpeg
    15C0A956-A0C5-4C0C-BAFC-D098FCF08A7C.jpeg
    695.5 KB · Views: 100
I'm horrible at this, but the one on the right is a pullet, and I think the one on the left is also. Why?
Because I see only two colors.
If I'm wrong, I wouldn't doubt it, lol.

I have 7 week chicks. One of them is an obvious male, his comb was red at 5.5 weeks, his wing, neck and back feathers were slow to develop, he’s huge, etc. Are the feathers that are growing along his back the male saddle feathers or do they grow in later? (He’s the red one in the pic). If they are, does that mean the other birds with backs full of round saddle feathers are definitely pullets or do I still need to hold my breath 😂?
the right one def seems like a pullet but the left one with a comb is still a bit early to tell. Can you get a different photo of it showing the neck and back feathers from the side, like when standing? I have had barred rock pullets with combs like this before and huge, turned out Big Momma was just a big, often broody, girl from the get-go lol.

I’m pretty confident he’s male. He hit all the cockerel checkpoints except the being friendly. He’s the most timid of my 6. I was just wondering if chickens grow in generic saddle feathers first and then grow in the male feathers because it’s early to be seeing saddle feathers at 7 weeks.

Attachments

• F6D062EC-D048-4AC1-8EE0-C41F51F2D233.jpeg
    F6D062EC-D048-4AC1-8EE0-C41F51F2D233.jpeg
    618.6 KB · Views: 65
I’m pretty confident he’s male. He hit all the cockerel checkpoints except the being friendly. He’s the most timid of my 6. I was just wondering if chickens grow in generic saddle feathers first and then grow in the male feathers because it’s early to be seeing saddle feathers at 7 weeks.
Okay from this picture he looks like a definite cockerel

I was just wondering if chickens grow in generic saddle feathers first and then grow in the male feathers because it’s early to be seeing saddle feathers at 7 weeks.
Yes, they do.
All chicks get 'rounded' saddle feathers when they first come in, and then later at around 10 to 12 weeks the males get new pointed ones.

Back
Top Bottom