are these marans?please

purr

Songster
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
east freetown, ma
I got these yesterday at a swap for $10 a piece.Are they marans? the guy said they were.
The picture doesn't show it but they are a chocolate brown not black.
mypics892.jpg

mypics885.jpg

looks like it to me. proof is in the egg. they can be called whatever, but the color of the egg is what decides if they are marans, if they pass the "looks" test first. I'd say this one passes the looks test.

thank you, now I have to wait till they get settled in to lay me some eggs.
I will post pics when I get one. The guy said they were laying but then we had a cold snap and they stopped. He said they were 9mths old.

They pass the looks test to me the chocolate brown color is from sun bleaching this happens to all black birds and it is usually gone after a molt. With my marans hens you could see where the new feather were growing in when she was molting because they were black and the old ones were brown.

Henry

we have 4 of them and one of them is named charcoal, the others are Fatty Patti, Racey, and Scar (poor Scar has had a tough life so far...but is a trooper) my 4 girls lay shades of dark chocolate eggs, and now I have a baby that was from one of their eggs and our buff cochin rooster.....this baby is cute as could be with the longest feathers on her feet.....lets hope she is a girl.....she is the one in our avatar pic.

poor Scar
100_0017-12.jpg

Charcoal
char.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom