Are these racoons and how do I deal with them?

picklepat

Chirping
Mar 30, 2021
I need some help! I have several pens in a row, each pen has a coop (chickens) or house (others). There are chickens, ducks, geese and turkeys in the pens. They are as predator proof as they can be but they do not have top covers, the pens are very large (I like them to have lots of room) and to cover the top would be an extraordinary amount of work and money. I lock the chickens in their coop at night after losing several chickens for a few weeks out of one pen. Thankfully they have not bothered my ducks, turkeys or geese yet. Everything has been ok with them being in the coop for several weeks. I went out to my baby pen to let them in the yard this morning and one of my 8 week old dark brahmas is dead with its head missing. I am assuming it is a racoon based on what I have researched? If I cannot keep predators out of the pen and coop is there something I can use to deter them? I have lights which are on all night and illuminate the pens. I took my Shetland ducks out of their pen and put them in a hoop coop which is completely covered in hardware cloth to protect them but I do not want to put all my animals in a smaller space like that. Would vinegar or bleach sprayed around the pens keep them away? What actually works to keep racoons away? What do you use?

Yup electric fence about 4 to 6 inch off the ground. Myself I have higher mile fencers for what I need, in other words I have a stronger fencer than what I need, The more miles a fencer has the more joule output, the more shock. A 25 mile fencer has more joule output then a 10 mile fencer.

I use electric fence on 2 sections property for growing about 1 and 1/4 acre sweet corn. I also use the same fencer for cattle.

Also you should put some type netting or something over the top of your pens if they are open.

Yup electric fence about 4 to 6 inch off the ground. Myself I have higher mile fencers for what I need, in other words I have a stronger fencer than what I need, The more miles a fencer has the more joule output, the more shock. A 25 mile fencer has more joule output then a 10 mile fencer.

I use electric fence on 2 sections property for growing about 1 and 1/4 acre sweet corn. I also use the same fencer for cattle.

Also you should put some type netting or something over the top of your pens if they are open.
Thank you! Yes, I think the fence is the way to go. Nothing ever bothers them during the day and I am in and out all day anyway but when it got into one of the houses I think it became a losing battle with predator proofing. Does anyone have a suggestion on the fence or do I just get a "kit" or something similar at tsc or lowes or something?

Back
Top Bottom