Are these really both Ameracauna’s?

MargoStewart

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2023
Pretty sure that 3 of the 4 straight run chicks I currently have are cockerels and hubby said I should go get more pullets and I’m not an idiot. I got in the car and left. 💁🏼‍♀️

The minimum at TSC is 4 so I got two RIR and two Ameracauna’s. They had two lighter/gray in the bin and the rest were dark so I got one of each.

Got home and started looking. It looks like they have different types of combs. Which makes me think they are NOT, in fact, the same breed of chicken. Or, that one is a cockerel which would be super frustrating because I specifically got pullets.

What are we looking at here? Anyone know?

Attachments

• 248BB4C4-BC85-4CEA-8D90-C3B5125126E0.jpeg
    248BB4C4-BC85-4CEA-8D90-C3B5125126E0.jpeg
    394.7 KB · Views: 23
  • BE5AC19B-EB81-48FC-B24B-6C4D941A8D02.jpeg
    BE5AC19B-EB81-48FC-B24B-6C4D941A8D02.jpeg
    440.7 KB · Views: 12
This is the other ones comb. I’ve been waiting for like 24 hours for the picture to load and finally just decided to put it in the comments!

Attachments

• 8A9E7273-8A2B-4E30-B5EB-FCC4B732EBC8.jpeg
    8A9E7273-8A2B-4E30-B5EB-FCC4B732EBC8.jpeg
    331.6 KB · Views: 12
They are very cute, but not Ameraucana’s, they have the wrong leg color, missing the beards and one (possibly both) have the wrong comb type. I’m not sure what they are though. I hope others with more experience can help there.

The single comb chick does has a prominent comb, but it’s still too young to tell in my opinion. One of my barred rocks had an aggressive comb very young but she didn’t get color in it til the POL.

hatcheries are very deceiving now in twisting the Ameracauna name.

A legitimate ameracauna is really hard to breed true and will most likely not readily be available at something like TSC. It will be a special order chick, that will be more expensive than the chicks in the bin.

What you most likely have there is an Easter Egger. It is going to lay a colored egg and have some of the same attributes as a real Ameraucana, but isn't going to fit into the breed standard.

The single comb chick does appear to have SLW face markings, and a rather large comb for a few days old. If I wasn't wanting a cockerel, I'd return that chick. Not saying in the slightest that it is a cockerel for certain, but I wouldn't take a chance with a comb like that.

Hatcheries will also have a significant margin of error in their sexing. So although it said "pullet" there will typically be, at minimum, a 10% chance that it is a cockerel because vent sexing is difficult. It seems like this year we are seeing more folks ending up with unwanted cockerels. This could be attributed to the higher than usual demand and hatcheries having to adapt, making their sexing a bit worse as a result.

If you want to ensure you are getting pullets. Wait until you see "sex-linked" chicks in a bin. These are chicks that are bred with certain characteristics, giving the boy and girl chicks a significantly different appearance. They will almost certainly be pullets.

HOWEVER! Look your sex link chicks over very, very closely. If you get 4, make sure they all look identical. Breeds seem to be getting mixed up more and more at TSC.

A legitimate ameracauna is really hard to breed true and will most likely not readily be available at something like TSC. It will be a special order chick, that will be more expensive than the chicks in the bin.

What you most likely have there is an Easter Egger. It is going to lay a colored egg and have some of the same attributes as a real Ameraucana, but isn't going to fit into the breed standard.

The single comb chick does appear to have SLW face markings, and a rather large comb for a few days old. If I wasn't wanting a cockerel, I'd return that chick. Not saying in the slightest that it is a cockerel for certain, but I wouldn't take a chance with a comb like that.

Hatcheries will also have a significant margin of error in their sexing. So although it said "pullet" there will typically be, at minimum, a 10% chance that it is a cockerel because vent sexing is difficult. It seems like this year we are seeing more folks ending up with unwanted cockerels. This could be attributed to the higher than usual demand and hatcheries having to adapt, making their sexing a bit worse as a result.

If you want to ensure you are getting pullets. Wait until you see "sex-linked" chicks in a bin. These are chicks that are bred with certain characteristics, giving the boy and girl chicks a significantly different appearance. They will almost certainly be pullets.

HOWEVER! Look your sex link chicks over very, very closely. If you get 4, make sure they all look identical. Breeds seem to be getting mixed up more and more at TSC.
Absolutely! I bought 3 separate batches of chicks "Guaranteed Premium Pullets" from TSC this spring. I got a cockerel in each batch 🥺.

Pretty sure that 3 of the 4 straight run chicks I currently have are cockerels and hubby said I should go get more pullets and I’m not an idiot. I got in the car and left. 💁🏼‍♀️

The minimum at TSC is 4 so I got two RIR and two Ameracauna’s. They had two lighter/gray in the bin and the rest were dark so I got one of each.

Got home and started looking. It looks like they have different types of combs. Which makes me think they are NOT, in fact, the same breed of chicken. Or, that one is a cockerel which would be super frustrating because I specifically got pullets.

What are we looking at here? Anyone know?
The mostly gray one is a silver laced Wyandotte. The other one is and EE. I made the same mistake when when I bought my EEs from Orschelns (I didn’t thinks it was and EE bc of the no muffs or lack of green legs, just thought it was cute) My little chick looked the exact same, but turned out to be a roo, and so did my two for sure EEs.

I asked this same question in a Facebook group and I think you’re right. These are what TSC is calling “Americana’s”. Aka Easter Eggers.

There were also some green layers in the bin next to this one and I was thinking it would be pretty easy for the bins to get mixed up.

I think I’ll call tsc and check with them on their return/exchange policy!

The mostly gray one is a silver laced Wyandotte. The other one is and EE. I made the same mistake when when I bought my EEs from Orschelns (I didn’t thinks it was and EE bc of the no muffs or lack of green legs, just thought it was cute) My little chick looked the exact same, but turned out to be a roo, and so did my two for sure EEs.
Alright. The one with the comb is going back now. I can’t raise another baby and have it be a too!

Back
Top Bottom