Are these Specked Sussex?

carolinagirl58

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Lugoff, SC
I bought these chickies last week. They are supposed to be Specked Sussex but I have my doubts. What do you think? Pure....or mixed?

IMG_1478Medium.jpg

IMG_1479Medium.jpg

The chick with the darker wings on that last photo in the middle looks just like my SS girl.
smile.png
. I would say yes. You at least have one pure breed one. Not sure about the others. Mine is only 3 weeks old.

Last edited:
So the variation in color is OK? Some are so much lighter than the ones I have seen pictures of. I like them....but I really do want pure SS.

I really do think they are all pure SS. The markings on their beaks and eyes are like my SS. I would imagine they would vary in color a little bit. Cute chicks btw.
smile.png

Yeah, Cindy, they are pretty. I got the 4 babies that are less than week old. I guess you got over to jack before I could, I wanted those older ones. BUT I was looking for a rooster, so i'm hoping that at least 1 in that batch of 4 is a roo. But I know what you're asking about.

2 of the 4 I got are a lighter brown color than the other 2.

Maybe we can do some swapping if too many of these turn out to be roos. Also I know a guy who has some eggs in his incubator right now. He may end up with too many roos too. I just don't know anything about how these chicks are supposed to look, so I guess time will tell. Jack had the parents there, but I know he told me he had some speckled/light crosses too and I didn't think to ask him if these were the pure ones or the crossed ones.

I hatch out speckled sussex every 3ish weeks and those look just like mine. I hatch from the same birds and sometimes they are lighter than other times, they all look the same in the end
smile.png

Quote:
He's in Ridgeway I think. I am getting some SS pullets from Nadine next week too. So I'll have SS from 3 different sources. That should work!

Thanks Obsession...that's good to know.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom