Are Uncooked Lentils Really Dangerous for Chickens?

https://poultry.extension.org/artic...-in-poultry-feed/field-peas-in-poultry-diets/

https://poultry.extension.org/artic...mes-in-poultry-feed/lentils-in-poultry-diets/

The first states that a benefit is that field peas don't have to be cooked like whole soybeans.
The second states lentils are low in digestive inhibitors. Peas especially are included in whole grain pigeon diets. Believe what you'd like.
Field peas DONT have to be cooked. LENTILS HAVE to be sprouted or cooked.

LENTILS HAVE to be sprouted or cooked.
What happens if the lentils are fed uncooked?

Do the chickens die? Do they lay fewer eggs? Do they act sick in some way?

A quote from the first post in the thread:
I'd be curious to know what "they" say will happen to a chicken who eats too many uncooked lentils?... Has anyone heard what the actual issue could be? Everything I've seen just says they're toxic, but how or why is vague. Would also love to hear firsthand if anyone has experienced a problem with feeding dry lentils.

So the OP is not asking IF lentils should be cooked.
They are asking WHAT HAPPENS if the lentils are not cooked. (If their chickens are still alive after eating uncooked lentils for 2 years, they clearly haven't died yet.)

What happens if the lentils are fed uncooked?

Do the chickens die? Do they lay fewer eggs? Do they act sick in some way?

A quote from the first post in the thread:

So the OP is not asking IF lentils should be cooked.
They are asking WHAT HAPPENS if the lentils are not cooked. (If their chickens are still alive after eating uncooked lentils for 2 years, they clearly haven't died yet.)
Cool. What’s the point if everyone is just going to go against all the articles you can read that you shouldn’t be giving them RAW or dried lentils or beans?

But do what you will👍🏻

Last edited:
Field peas DONT have to be cooked. LENTILS HAVE to be sprouted or cooked.

Ummm, no. There are definite benefits to cooking lentils (albeit with some tradeoffs), but its not absolutely required. Much greater concern with feeding too much of lentils.

Honestly, I give very little credence to what a bunch of anonymous people on a bunch of anonymous websites have to say on any given subject. Mostly, they repeat something they heard, or read from another, equally unsourced website. When relying on the "wisdom fo the crowd", its best to remember that *definitionally* half the population is more stupid than average - and the web seems to select for them.

Look to the studies first. They are repeatable, have measurable results. We can talk facts and figures instead of "i heard" and "i read". After all, Garden Betty has a well followed website with a bunch of claims on it - yet doing the math (even her math, with unsourced claims for the nutrition of various ingredients) shows those claims to be in error. Yet plenty of the crowd goes to her for advice.

I am **NOT** an expert. You should *absolutely* feel free to ignore everything I have to offer. I am, after all, just some anonymous guy on the internet. But I encourage you to at least look at the studies I linked as the basis for my opinion, above. I find them more authorative than some websites(s)

Ummm, no. There are definite benefits to cooking lentils (albeit with some tradeoffs), but its not absolutely required. Much greater concern with feeding too much of lentils.

Honestly, I give very little credence to what a bunch of anonymous people on a bunch of anonymous websites have to say on any given subject. Mostly, they repeat something they heard, or read from another, equally unsourced website. When relying on the "wisdom fo the crowd", its best to remember that *definitionally* half the population is more stupid than average - and the web seems to select for them.

Look to the studies first. They are repeatable, have measurable results. We can talk facts and figures instead of "i heard" and "i read". After all, Garden Betty has a well followed website with a bunch of claims on it - yet doing the math (even her math, with unsourced claims for the nutrition of various ingredients) shows those claims to be in error. Yet plenty of the crowd goes to her for advice.

I am **NOT** an expert. You should *absolutely* feel free to ignore everything I have to offer. I am, after all, just some anonymous guy on the internet. But I encourage you to at least look at the studies I linked as the basis for my opinion, above. I find them more authorative than some websites(s)
Ok👍🏻

Cool. What’s the point if everyone is just going to go against all the articles you can read that you shouldn’t be giving them RAW or dried lentils or beans?

But do what you will👍🏻
I am curious about WHY.

I have seen lots of articles that say "do this" or "don't do this," and many are just plain wrong. (This applies to many areas of life, not just chicken keeping.)

Trying to understand why is useful in figuring out which ones are actually correct. If an article does not say why, I can't tell if it is right or wrong. It could be either one.

When an animal (chicken) tries to eat lectin-containing seeds, the lectins bind to carbohydrates in the gut wall and start poking holes in it. This can cause a number of issues, including severe dehydration, diarrhea, and even death (when consumed in high concentrations)

as what @U_Stormcrow said, In moderation sure they might be fine raw. And it equally depends on what else you feed them.

And as what i said, better safe than sorry.

When an animal (chicken) tries to eat lectin-containing seeds, the lectins bind to carbohydrates in the gut wall and start poking holes in it. This can cause a number of issues, including severe dehydration, diarrhea, and even death (when consumed in high concentrations)
Thanks! That explanation is quite helpful!

If you where to feed your chickens bowls of lentils and nothing else I'm sure that would be unhealthy. I've feed everything on the do not feed list with zero deaths or ill effects. Call me crazy but I actually tossed a bunch of apple cores "WITH THE SEEDS" to my flock! None died. The most sickly chickens I see are those that are locked up and only get layer feed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom