Are you happy with your poop board?

ChickensRDinos

Songster
7 Years
Aug 19, 2012
Los Angeles
Hello! I have a poop board under the roost for my 6 hens. In my original coop it was just plain plywood. When I rebuilt coop 2.0 (chicken math), I decided it would be better to have something a little smoother for easier cleaning so I put down linoleum. 2 years later that is now a cracked and pealing mess that I need to replace right away. My current board is just slats from pallets so I need to cover it in something and am not really wanting the linoleum again.

What material is on your poop board? Are you happy with it? Worth the effort to add some sort of tray or lip to do sand or bedding instead? It is just a small, elevated space just under the roosts. I am looking for any creative alternatives or adjustments.

Thank you!!

I've only done a poop board with sweet PDZ but I've found it to be very easy. Every morning it takes less than 5 minutes to scoop up all the poop with a kitty litter scoop and deposit in a little bucket next to the coop. About once a week I empty the bin into my compost. No scraping required. My board is a 16 inch wide piece of plywood with 2x4s ripped in half along the edges to hold in the PDZ.

hope this helps,

If I ever build another coop (crossing fingers I never have to) the first thing of the gotta haves is a poop board. The best idea since the motorized washing machine. Seriously the best invention ever, motorized washing machine that is!!

The poop board keeps the coop clean so much longer, it's a snap to clean up with a simple dust pan and that little brush that comes with it.
Iin the bucket and then in compost pile or directly on the garden if it is the dead of winter.

I bought one of those tarps that you see people put on their roofs after a serve storm. I needed some after a tornado came through over a two years ago (because of that I have a new coop and hence why I hope I never have to build another) and I had one left over still in the package. I thought this should work on the poop board. It works well. It is easy to take out and clean. When I clean it I simply hang it on the side of the chicken run with clothespins, spray with cleaner, hose off, let dry and put it back.

I had a poop board....But even tho I was cleaning it every day I was still getting that smell....
sickbyc.gif
.....So I asked here on these forums and was turned onto using Sweet PDZ and setting it up as a litter box....I couldn't be happier....It takes me less then 2 minutes every morning to scoop the poop and I can see my girls are much happier
yippiechickie.gif

How far below the roost bar do you typicall place the poop board. My birds have been in their coop for about 5 weeks, and man do they poop a lot inside. I want to make a pan out of light guage aluminum and hang it from the roost bar. Just didnt know how low to mount it.

Any information is appreciated

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom