Are you raising your own rabbits for meat and if so what breed do you like best and why?

Celie

Songster
7 Years
Mar 23, 2012
Tickfaw, Louisiana
On 1/11/12 I bought my first meat rabbits. The breed I bought was White New Zealand, after much research, because of the size and the meat to bone ratio. I started out with 8 does and 2 bucks, at 6 to 8 weeks old. I could not find any good breeding stock for sale in my area so I had to drive an hour and a half each way to another state to purchase very diversified genetic breeding stock. The month before, I bought some used all wire cages. Unfortunately, the first set of cages I used, had a loosely fitting feeder and 3 does escaped and got killed. After that episode, I bought new, better made feeders and had no more escapees. I am very well pleased with this breed, but would like to hear about the breeds others chose and why? Would you share your experiences?
caf.gif

I have Silver Fox Rabbits for meat. I chose them because they are critically endangered and beautiful. I didn't want just an ordinary looking rabbit. Silver fox rabbits come in black, blue, chocolate and lavender. I also plan to sell some as pets/breeders to help off set food cost.

I have Californians. Like you I couldn't find what I wanted nearby, so mine came from 350 miles away. I doubt I would have made a special trip for them, but I was able to pick up my first pair on the way back from visiting relatives.

I've always liked Himalayan cats, and the Californians have similar markings -- white body with dark points. I want something that makes me smile when I go in the rabbitry, and the babies just getting their markings are adorable!

I do have a couple of NZW does from a huge commercial rabbitry a couple of hours away. Since I was only able to get a single pair of Californians, I needed more does to get things going. I was planning to keep a trio of each type, but unfortunately had to cull my NZW buck. Those are easier to replace around here though.

-Wendy

Last edited:
WOW! 350 miles away!
ep.gif
You won't have to worry about any near you ever being CLOSELY related. Did you buy a sister and brother pair? Or did they come from different litters? If not couldn't you Keep all the females and line breed them back to their buck Sire? They are very pretty bunnies. I know someone near me with Californians, but, I'm in Louisiana. Wish I could help. How old are your Rabbits now? Are you breeding them yet? How many kits do you usually get in a litter? Thanks for showing us your rabbits!
bun.gif

I am going to start raising meat rabbits in February. I already have arrangements made with 2 breeders to get some from litters they will have then. I am going to start with a Californian trio and a NZ trio and try each buck to one of each breed of doe to see what I like best. I would love some silver fox, but I can't find any.

Right now mine are mutts. They were bought as pets to start out. I am looking for satins to start with now.
Mutts taste good, too!
droolin.gif
How did you get your kids to eat Bunny Wrabbits?LOL
We raise mutts to eat. Californian bucks over New Zealand does. The offspring is meaty and fast growing.
I have a friend who does just the opposite, he has a NZW buck and California does! His buck was actually a mutt himself, because I kept him for a couple weeks, when their place flooded. I had to double up in some cages and a long story short, some of his offspring had gray ears and noses. LOL
I am going to start raising meat rabbits in February. I already have arrangements made with 2 breeders to get some from litters they will have then. I am going to start with a Californian trio and a NZ trio and try each buck to one of each breed of doe to see what I like best. I would love some silver fox, but I can't find any.
Everybody want Silver Fox, but they are very rare and almost impossible to find, but I know a breeder.....and.......Where do you live? You will love raising rabbits, they are delicious and multiply so fast. I have been selling them as soon as they reach 6 weeks and people are calling everyday. I have a waiting list, with 16 for the 1st, 28 on the 19th and 11 for the end of Jan. Watch out, rabbit raising is addicting. I started out with only a few for the freezer, I am up to 10 now !

bun.gif
bun.gif
=
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif