Are Your Cuckoo Marans' Laying During Winter? - UPDATE

Update time

A couple of days ago I noticed Gertie's comb and wattles were getting markedly redder. Then yesterday...PLOP! She's laying again! And my wife happened to be down there today and saw her lay! Exciting! Her eggs aren't as dark brown as before winter, but maybe she's just getting back into the swing of things.

Still planning on getting a float from the doc, and will post if they find anything.

Thanks for the posts,

Z

Way to go!
yippiechickie.gif

Thanks for the reply you guys,

I was going to take in a sample for he vet to check out just to rule out anything big. They've been on Scratch and Peck layer and when it's gonna be cold (well, for here anyway) I give them a little scratch before bed. She eats and drinks and,except for the pale comb and wattles, looks good.

If the doc finds anything in the poo sample i'll pass it on.

Thanks again!

Z
Pale comb and shrunk (in size) comb is normal during off-lay season. This is due to decreased hormonal level. This allows the hen to recuperate her reproductive system. One should allow them to rest (without any supplemental light) so that they get a chance to “repair” their overly used ovaries.
Giving them supplemental light in the winter makes them “factory” hens. Yes, they may lay throughout the year without any break but this will also devastate their bodies and dramatically reduce their lifespan (may also likely die of cancer, and other reproductive tract diseases).

There is a limited number of egg a hen will lay over their life (a fixed number predetermined when the chick hatched!). If you speed up this (I.e providing artificial light), you will not get more eggs in total. In fact you shorten the number of years the hen will be laying.

The nature has created a cycle where the hen is supposed to rest and rejuvenate (in the winter where days are short).

Be humane and allow your hens the break they deserve. They are not egg machines! They will reward you by laying over several years ( at least 5-6 years for heritage breeds). If you think you can override nature, think again. Yes you can but there are repercussions! The choice is yours.

this will also devastate their bodies and dramatically reduce their lifespan (may also likely die of cancer, and other reproductive tract diseases).

This is a bit extreme. I don't ever supply extra light, and my birds have never laid that long. I have had birds die of a ll sorts of reasons, and none of them protected from these evils because I did not supply light.

Giving the girls a break is probably a good idea, but what about people that live closer to the equator - do they put their chickens in dark rooms? Near the equator light is about 12 on and 12 off all year long. Up north, we get long days 16-17 hours, and then in the winter that drops significantly.

I don't think adding a little extra light after a molt is a necessary idea, but I don't think it is going to change a hen's lifespan or laying capabilities.

Mrs. K

Back
Top Bottom