Arizona Chicken Breeders/Sellers: need your info

Howdy! I am not a breeder. Just moved to Yuma/Somerton AZ. My daughter bought me two Jersey Giants chicks. My husband is the store manager for TSC in the Foothills. If allowed I plan on adding a few more to my tiny flock of two. Thought I'd say hi.

Hi - and just so you know, because you're new to the hottest area in the US - ya gotta keep those hens cool in the Summers! I use a portable swamp cooler in my chicken's run - but you can use misters, wading pools, blocks of ice - anything - but keep 'em cool! Welcome to AZ and to chicken keeping!

Hi - and just so you know, because you're new to the hottest area in the US - ya gotta keep those hens cool in the Summers!  I use a portable swamp cooler in my chicken's run - but you can use misters, wading pools, blocks of ice - anything - but keep 'em cool!  Welcome to AZ and to chicken keeping!

Awh! Thank you but I am familiar with the desert heat. I lived in the Imperial Valley, CA. When I lived there I had 50+ hens. I was forced to give them up, they are living a great life with a great friend. Now it looks like I can have a few, no breeding allowed. Now I just want one of each special or run of the mill chicken, up to 8 total. So I'd you know anyone. Thank you!

Blue Australorps may be just what I need. How are they sold? Minimum or maximum batches?
What times of year? How are they priced?

I'm willing to grow out some of the Blue Australorps to help increase numbers. I know how to select fowl, but I'll need your priorities.

At 2015 New Mexico State Fair I had Best American (3-yr White Chantecler rooster) and Reserve American (Co. Rock cockerel).

In 2014 I had Best Asiatic, Best English and Best Large Breed Trio all selected from hatchery stock. The Best Goose was bred here at Stonefield Farm.

I'm engrossed in a complex breeding project for better winter laying, but mid-sized dual-purpose chickens. I've been reconsidering
Australorps for their egg rate, but still would rather blue or splash than plain black. One of the goals is a dark Columbian pattern.

If you think I can help, please let me know.

Sammerman
[email protected]

HC 69, Box 62
Rociada Hamlet, NM 87742

I also live in Phoenix, AZ and I didn't have much luck finding chicks locally besides what the feed stores carry so I ordered some off of MyPetChicken and ChickenScratchPoultry. The only bad thing with ordering chicks is that you have a minimum amount of chicks that you have to order. Right now I have some I want to get rid of with a batch of Lavender Orpingtons coming that I also need to sell the extras of.

I have been putting a standard sized B/B/S Australorp flock together from the Rattlesnake Ridge and the Hupps line. Chet isn't doing them anymore. I currently have 1-Splash Roo, and 5 girlfriends for him (girls are black, blue, and splash). I will be starting a second flock going within the next few months. I will have fertile eggs for the current flock available soon, and will have chicks going by an Easter hatch out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom