Arizona Chickens

We all want to be like Mikey!
bow.gif

He's got skillz.

One of my Australorps's combs is starting to redd'n up a bit.

From what I've learned form you's guys that means egg laying soon, yes?

Becky says they should start laying in almost exactly another month so will the 50lb bag of chick finisher be OK for now?

And on another happy note, I don't know if I posted this or just sent it to Noel but...

I ordered another 10 chicks from Ideal yesterday! Whaoo!

*** My first edit on the new format***

Ohh, and I asked Ideal what they did with their excess male chicks and they said that they did not shred or otherwise dispose of them. They have a buyer that purchases all the weekly surplus.

Good news so I purchased 2 wellsummer and 2 gold sex link pullets!

And I want my spell checker back!!!
Mikey,
The things to look for when they are ready to lay is red and suddenly larger comb and then they squat. When they squat they should be within a couple of weeks. Also, they'll start checking out and sitting in the nest boxes. If you don't know what I mean by "squat", you'll know it when you see it. When you come up to them they squat and freeze. They think you are the rooster and they're getting ready for you. I usually pat them on the back when they do that to reinforce who's boss.
big_smile.png

I'm glad to hear that Ideal doesn't shred their chicks. I wonder what the buyer does with them.
hide.gif

I think you'll like the gold sex links. I've never had wellsummers. (how do you spell welsummer? my spell check doesn't like anything I try. Maybe it doesn't have chicken names in it yet?)

edited because I forgot to say ( and because I want to be like Mikey too)
You can switch to layer feed anytime between 16 weeks and when they start to lay. Every feed has it's own recommendations. I will probably switch at about 18 weeks because that's when my grower feed will run out.
Don't forget to supplement with oyster shell if you want strong eggs. I feed layer feed but my chickens still like some oyster shell.

Last edited:
Just want to update everyone about Amelia. I am saddened to let you know that she passed at 10:20. My daughter called me at work and said that she was petting her and Amelia had a seizure and died. I called my vet and my daughter Lauren brought Amelia in for a necropsy. I called DH and he says get more babies.

Thank you all for your good thoughts. Will let you know what the Dr. finds out. I would post a picture if I could figure out how.

Just want to update everyone about Amelia. I am saddened to let you know that she passed at 10:20. My daughter called me at work and said that she was petting her and Amelia had a seizure and died. I called my vet and my daughter Lauren brought Amelia in for a necropsy. I called DH and he says get more babies.

Thank you all for your good thoughts. Will let you know what the Dr. finds out. I would post a picture if I could figure out how.

sad.png
hugs.gif
Oh, your poor daughter! I'm so sorry. I'll be very interested in the necropsy results. Good DH.

Thanks for the info Mahroni. I am headed to the meeting tonight. I am taking some seramas for sure, but I am worried to take my silkie roo who is the nicest because I am sure all the kids will want a silkie and I don't have a connection on that yet. I am tempted to take him to nurseshelly's for a while to hang out with Phyllis and see what we get!!

MamahenChris-I am so sorry to hear about Amelia. She did have the most spoiled life and even though it was short it was incredible. I think you need to add some seramas to your flock. They are such cuddle bugs!

Last edited:
Mikey,
The things to look for when they are ready to lay is red and suddenly larger comb and then they squat. When they squat they should be within a couple of weeks. Also, they'll start checking out and sitting in the nest boxes. If you don't know what I mean by "squat", you'll know it when you see it. When you come up to them they squat and freeze. They think you are the rooster and they're getting ready for you. I usually pat them on the back when they do that to reinforce who's boss.
big_smile.png

I'm glad to hear that Ideal doesn't shred their chicks. I wonder what the buyer does with them.
hide.gif

I think you'll like the gold sex links. I've never had wellsummers. (how do you spell welsummer? my spell check doesn't like anything I try. Maybe it doesn't have chicken names in it yet?)

edited because I forgot to say ( and because I want to be like Mikey too)
You can switch to layer feed anytime between 16 weeks and when they start to lay. Every feed has it's own recommendations. I will probably switch at about 18 weeks because that's when my grower feed will run out.
Don't forget to supplement with oyster shell if you want strong eggs. I feed layer feed but my chickens still like some oyster shell.

Hey, I don't even want to be like Mikey sometimes! (but thanks folks.
love.gif
)

Becky - thanks - great info. Sounds like I should have switched to layer already. I guess I'll go see if Higley has organic layer instead of pouring the last of the grower / finisher in tonight.

However - Tammy told me last night she saw mouse evidence
sickbyc.gif
next to the bag of feed.

I got a small oyster shell type feeder from Meg-moringaseed. If I put shells in there could I use up the last bag of 17% grower finisher & still be providing correct nutrition?

I got the Wellsummer chicks because of Pastry (She MADE me do it!) (Remember Flip Wilson?
lau.gif
) She raved about them and I believe her. Plus they are supposed to lay cool dark brown eggs & I only have regular brown egg layers. (That's called rationalization!)

Mikey, they don't need layer until they are laying. Even then they don't really need it, but they may need the extra calcium. You can cause problems feeding younger chickens layer feed because they may not handle the calcium well. Your birds are so close to laying age that it probably won't matter much though. Congratulations on the chick order too! See what happens when you spend any time at all around this place? I see more coops in your future. How is that shed looking?
gig.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom