Arizona Chickens

Husk on! Keep very warm and moist. You can soak the seeds overnight first too.
Oh Thank you!

I have a question. I found one of the young cocks weak and staggering around a couple of days ago. Sence we have had a storm I thought he was hurt during it so being that it was a cock I just put him down. Now this evening another one of the young cocks was weak and staggering and really worse off then the other one was. When examining him I found he had these little red bugs all over him, on the skin! No it wasn't ants but sure were the size of those really small ants. The bugs seemed a little lacy looking also. I check all the others that was in that coop with him and didn't see anything else. What the heck is it? I did rake out all the coops and put down a thick layer of that DE. No one else seems sick. I am just happy it was cocks and not any of the hens!

Quote:
Terri has the sweetest turkey in the world!! She follows you around like a puppy dog, rubs against your legs for love, like a kitten. She has so much personality, you can't help but indulge her in hugs and loving. I have had some very affectionate cockatiels, but they don't hold a candle to her BlueBell!!

Great job on the Moringa!! Mine sprouted great, but croaked when I tried to transplant them outside. I am curious to see how yours fares this winter. Might be best to cover it with a frost cloth on cold nights. Have you eaten any of the leaves yet?? How do they taste?? I definitely want to try again next spring.

In the next day or two my order from Florida Hills nursery should arrive, 3 different types of blueberries, a couple of goji berries and 2 dwarf mulberry trees. I spent most of today digging holes and preparing the ground. This is my first time ordering from them. It sounds like they clone the plants......not sure how I feel about that. But, very anxious to get the order in and see if the plants survived shipping.

Quote:
I think she's the ultimate silkie breeder around here!
I sit corrected!
Y'all are sweeties! Thank you for the compliments...
love.gif

In the next day or two my order from Florida Hills nursery should arrive, 3 different types of blueberries, a couple of goji berries and 2 dwarf mulberry trees. I spent most of today digging holes and preparing the ground. This is my first time ordering from them. It sounds like they clone the plants......not sure how I feel about that. But, very anxious to get the order in and see if the plants survived shipping.

wee.gif
Woohoo! How exciting! I'll be very interested in how the gojis do. I tried to grow them from seed but didn't have much luck getting them to go beyond sprouting. I wouldn't worry too much about the clones. It's sounds creepy but they are simply cuttings that were taken from parent plants. Just about everything is is propagated as clones nowadays rather than coming from seed. I didn't even know they had dwarf mulberry trees. I might have to look into that. They'd be great cover for free ranging chickens and provide some nice snacks for them as well. Have fun planting!

Oh dang. You guys don't even know what I am talking about.

Sorry for your loss Tanichca. I've been there except I was the little kid. Believe me it hurts the kid more than you, once they realize what they've done. This is a good time to teach them about life and how fragile it is.

mclevinson and AZTiff, check you PM's in a few.
hugs.gif
Use the quote feature so we don't have to assume your reply is in regards to the last post.
I'm truly sorry I overreacted. As you did not use the quote feature I assumed (yeah, my bad) you were slamming --- because was bad enough to make you bite your tongue, and there was just this thing about whether chickens could swim or not a few days ago. Tanicha could fight her own battles if she felt it were necessary!

So I hatched out my first set of eggs, 12 went in, 4 never developed, 8 developed and 6 hatched on day 21, 2 still in the bator and it is day 23 giving them till Saturday to make a move but so far no movements or sounds so I don't think they will hatch. Before lockdown I did candle all of them and all but 1 (it is one of the two that didn't hatch) looked good. Out of the 6 that hatched the last one to hatch died this morning. Not sure why but poor thing had a rough hatch anyway as 5 new chicks where moving around the bator and kept pecking at its shell and after she came out there was a lot of blood left in the shell. Yesterday morning the chicks where moved to a larger bator that I made from a mini fridge since the hatching bator is so small (a little Hovabator my husband bought me). This morning they were moved to the brooder at which point my cat discovered their existence and after catching her sneaking into the office and laying next to the brooder the office is on lockdown! Of course now she lays outside the door and meows really low which makes the chicks chirp like crazy....this has been going on for hours! The roosters are out front trying to out crow each other but both sound like teenage boys with cracking voices and my early morning layer is announcing her egg, she hasn't laid yet but she has a routine where she sits in the box for 10 minutes sings her egg song then I go out find no egg give them the bowl of scraps she eats then goes back in and lays her egg....And to add to that I have about 40 lbs of cucumbers staring me down on the counter that need to be pickled....DH liked our last batch of cucumbers so much of 1 plant that he decided to plant 10 more pickling cucumber plants...it is the only thing coming out of my garden right now, I will end this growing season with at least 20 jars of pickles after giving away pickles to everyone I know. The chickens wont even eat the cucumbers anymore they are so sick of them.
th.gif

Use the quote feature so we don't have to assume your reply is in regards to the last post.
I'm truly sorry I overreacted. As you did not use the quote feature I assumed (yeah, my bad) you were slamming --- because was bad enough to make you bite your tongue, and there was just this thing about whether chickens could swim or not a few days ago. Tanicha could fight her own battles if she felt it were necessary!
Okay....I guess we are talking about this here instead of PM.

I didn't use the quote because I was responding to the current topic. You just assumed I was biting my tongue to hold back a crude remark about chickens not being able to swim or perhaps not just dogs kill chickens because you know me so well (obviously not). What I was really referring to: As sad as it is to lose a couple of chicks I hope the child was not too severely punished for something that can ultimately be replaced. You can't replace a childhood experience.

I guess this is my bad for being concerned for a child on a chicken forum. Where are my priorities? Lesson learned. I'll be sure to quote exactly what I am referring to instead of the including the whole topic. Don't we get enough censored out of context news already? Do we need to do that here to?

Back
Top Bottom