Arizona Chickens

My middle girl has some severe problems and squished our FBCM chick "Legs". Legs recovered and was renamed "Lucky". They were locked up after that.

But when I was little someone (a teenage boy) gave my teenage sister (completely unprepared, no cage, no food, no knowhow) a cute little white bunny. Which our dachshund promptly ate. A combination of tragic mistakes. I was crushed, and cried for days.
My step-son loves squeezing things too. He wasn't allowed to be around the chicks by himself. Now that they are grown he still wants to hold them, but he doesn't get too close since they jump up at him when he has food in his hands.
lau.gif
Man, I've gotta get video of that.

This sounds like a good clip for the Family Circus comic strip.
lau.gif

I tried talking my wife into making pickles, but instead we had lots of salads and gave the a bunch to the chickens too. What type of cucumber do you plant? The kind we planted, Tendergreen (Burpless) had giant seeds and weren't all that enjoyable for us because of it.

I have no idea what he plants, the garden is his domain the chickens are mine. Of course everything that comes out of the garden I am responsible for using in some way. I know they are pickling cucumbers and it is really hard to pick them "just right" they will look a little small and by the next day they are bloated and overgrown. I finally started slicing the bloated ones in half and freezing them, it makes a nice cool snack for the chicks and they don't go on cucumber overload when the garden is pumping them out. I do the same thing other fruit scraps since my family can eat one to two watermelons a day. I throw a couple frozen rinds out there and it keeps them busy for hours plus cools them down a bit. I am thankful it seems to be cooling down a little bit, yesterday I got 3 eggs so maybe the strike is coming to an end....oh if only I could have an air conditioned chicken house for my girls
love.gif

You already do. You just have to figure out what side of your bed they get to sleep on.
lau.gif
Too funny!! I was sitting inside on the couch watching TV as I also was enjoying some chick time. My husband comes in and says "I better not hear any chirping in our bedroom. They are NOT allowed in our room!" Too funny. He thought I was going to take her to bed with us.
lau.gif

Thanks, I have lots of hope that Blue Bell will give me fertile eggs this year. I do hope I have a couple of girls in that group! Two of the royal palms are looking like Toms. They are Banner and Flag. One royal palm is named Glory and hope she lives up to the name. The dark ones are Miracle and Jake. I am pretty sure Jake is a tom and I had hope that Miracle was girl but acting more Tom like lately. I am only keeping one male. Selling the rest.

Last edited:
A update on the my roo saga. My husband got the 'roo condo' built, and for the last week, we've been bringing Mal in at night. This is working pretty well from a getting along with the neighbor situation, but Malcolm isn't happy getting grabbed at night and taken away from the girls, so I don't think this is going to be a workable situation for us. NotinOz is going to be incubating a few of the EE X Barnvelder eggs the next time she sets eggs, to see if we can get some Olive Eggers and I think that after that, I'm going to rehome Mal.
So, if anyone is looking for a very sweet, good looking, gentlemanly Barnvelder rooster, let me know. I'm offering him for free to anyone that wants a flock-husband, since Kev gave him to me to use for meat, and I ended up not processing him. If no one wants him for that, I can process him myself, but I'd like to try to find a home for him first.

Back
Top Bottom