Arizona Chickens

Quote: ThANKS ! Can't wait to see your pics!!!
I started fermenting my feed a few weeks ago, and it definitely appears that they are consuming less. I didn't start measuring right away because I wasn't sure that they would even eat it, but they took to it just fine. I have a large feeder that I normally fill up once a week, so this week (Wednesday) I put that same amount in a bucket and that is what I fill my fermenter out of. It will be interesting to see how much is left (if any) come next Wednesday. And for the fermenting, I just use a colander sitting in a bucket. It doesn't have to be anything fancy.

FYI.....My was shopping and came accross layer crumble at San Tan Walmart for 14.97 in the big bag. Their 40 lb bag of scratch was 11.97. That is less than I pay at the feed store. I am not sure if the quality is different but I am going to try it.

Just spent 15 minutes driving around a parking lot trying to find 1651 E Camelback Rd to pick up map for tour de coops...it is in duck and decanter at the very back of the complex...feel so stupid and people are already driving aggressive so stress level is like a 6, hopefully we will see some cool setups :D

Fermented feed? Oh no that's just what I need. Drunk Chickens!

lau.gif

FYI.....My was shopping and came accross layer crumble at San Tan Walmart for 14.97 in the big bag. Their 40 lb bag of scratch was 11.97. That is less than I pay at the feed store. I am not sure if the quality is different but I am going to try it.

Our WalMart used to sell it, too. Chickens ate it just fine and my egg production actually went up. Don't know if it was just a coincidence or not, but I would buy it again if they start carrying it.

I'm getting 3-5 eggs a day out of my 5-6 laying hens. Now if I could convince by Buff Orpington that her molt is LONG over and my Marans who hatched on EASTER to start laying, we'll be in business! :p

So they eat LESS of the 'fermented' feed? and it's healthy?

Worth a try but I'd almost need to see pics as to how it's done! I'm a visual learner.

I've been fermenting my feed for a bit now; also sprout the whole grains because sprouting increases vitamins and enzymes. If you are feeding mostly mash and not much whole grain you can do it with just one bucket and a strainer; partly depending on how many birds you are feeding. I use a double bucket system as described for sprouting grain. (this would also be an easy set up for fermenting whole grains, just drill your holes smaller than any grain you are using) I am using just a single 5 gal bucket for fermenting. I scoop the top part of the FF off and it's wet but not dripping. If I need to scoop farther down in the bucket where there is more liquid then I scoop into a wire mesh strainer that sets on top of the bucket a few minutes to drain out the extra liquid. I am feeding a variety of layers from pullets up to 5 yr olds along with Muscovy and mallard type ducks. They all eat it up. You can also chop up veggies and put them in (think sourkraut) and some people add alfalfa cubes or pellets. After feeding I add some more sprouted grain and layer mash, add more water if needed and loosely set the lid back on the bucket until the next feeding. If I've misjudged and let it get too dry so I have to add a lot of water to the bucket I do add another glug of home made apple cider vinegar. Also when eating yogurt if there is a bit of whey on top I pour it into the bucket. (started my bucket with ACV and yogurt whey)

I'm fermenting chick starter for the chicks, since I don't need much right now I just put a couple cups in a bowl and cover with a dish towel. This is more the consistency of thick peanut butter or dough. They suck it right up. I also keep a dish of buttermilk out for them. Old timers raised a lot of hogs and chickens on skim milk and buttermilk. I figure the extra probiotics and protein can't hurt

The fermenting gives them great probiotics, increases the availability of nutrients (something like an increase of 12% digestibility), seems to help keep the gut healthier so worm loads are lessened, reduces feed costs, there has been noticed an increase in the weight of eggs and larger egg yolks (some are going to investigate if the eggs hatch better, bigger, healthier chicks), faster feathering..... AND NO STINK! While not everyone sees the same benefits from the FF almost every single person says the same; no more chicken poop stink! The people feeding CornishX meat birds are really appreciating that! I have noticed that my banties, going into their second year of laying are laying larger eggs than last year and one is laying nearly every day. Also noticing it doesn't seem like it's taking that long for the new pullets to get to laying 'big girl' eggs.

After I went to the feed stores last week, I had to cancel my Ornamental Layers order with McMurray... for February. Feed has just gotten too expensive and even with the discount that Sharon gives at The Feed Barn, I just can't afford to start feeding a new group... small hatches of less than 10 perhaps or a chick or two from Western Ranchman just so I continue to have new layers coming up, but that's it.. and they've got to start living more on grass clippings, food scraps etc...
All food & feed prices will be going up with the severe drought this past summer and the bizarre weather and storms. I do several things to cut the feed bill; I raise earthworms in a large bed outdoors for adding protein, grew a lot of extra summer and winter squash (which will keep several months over the winter), I collect cull produce from the grocery store (the ducks have a field day when I bring home the lettuce trimmings!) I sprout my whole grain/scratch feed for extra bulk, vitamins and minerals, I ferment my layer mash, and I eat my cull chickens to reduce my own food bill.

Back
Top Bottom