Arizona Chickens

Are you sure this is not a cockerel with red face and earlobes developing? It looks normal to me. Could also be a pullet that is maturing more rapidly than the other birds. Unless I am missing something.
Oh no! Not my little Lemon! They were sexed, got them at Pratt's. I have had suspicions on a couple of others but not her so far. Crossing my fingers that we got all girls.

I had a welsummer with a similar issue. It ended up being a roo!

Well, darn it all! They are only 6 weeks. I thought it was closer to about 4 months before you could really tell. Before I hear crowing she will have to go.

I had a welsummer with a similar issue. It ended up being a roo!

Well, darn it all! They are only 6 weeks. I thought it was closer to about 4 months before you could really tell. Before I hear crowing she will have to go.
I've heard with some chickens it is hard to tell, but on the 2 boys I had, it was not difficult. I definitely knew the white silkie/Polish mix was a cockerel at 6 weeks. He was crowing not much after his comb and wattles told me he was a roo. My RIR, the one and only, was also a male...I think I knew by 7 weeks? Little Lemon's face is red, but her comb isn't looking very manly. How can you have no ants? I need the secret.

Bob's Henhouse, brace yourself for a dumb question. What do you do with geese? . Eggs and meat? Just for fun?

I've heard with some chickens it is hard to tell, but on the 2 boys I had, it was not difficult. I definitely knew the white silkie/Polish mix was a cockerel at 6 weeks. He was crowing not much after his comb and wattles told me he was a roo. My RIR, the one and only, was also a male...I think I knew by 7 weeks? Little Lemon's face is red, but her comb isn't looking very manly. How can you have no ants? I need the secret.

Bob's Henhouse, brace yourself for a dumb question. What do you do with geese? . Eggs and meat? Just for fun?
I have been diligently watching combs since the day I got them. They are all exactly the same size and color. We get those small piss-ants around the pool in the summer, but none the rest of the year. There are big antholes in the sandier areas of town. I'm not sure if it is elevation related or the heat. I am very lucky I don't have them.

Oh no! Not my little Lemon! They were sexed, got them at Pratt's. I have had suspicions on a couple of others but not her so far. Crossing my fingers that we got all girls.
About the "lemon" there is also a type of gene that is causes slow feathering but I do not know much about it. Especially important would be if that gene is sex specific. But do tell us about the progress or not on that little bird.

:eek:. Just checked on Felisha our broody, there are 11 eggs.. :eek:
So NOW we will either have 5 hatch with in a day or two.. Then the others
with in a week or mre after.. At this rate she will be hatching out chicks for
about two weeks..
Has anyone had this happen to them? I could borrow a incubator if needed..

Back
Top Bottom