Arizona Chickens

I found this thread today. Although it is several years old, the pics look just like my Lemon and her reddish/pink features that appeared on her face.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...k-pullet-or-cockeral-pic-heavy-refresh-if-big

My initial concern was not gender in the least. I was more worried about an allergy or worse yet an infection that could spread to the rest of my girls. It appears it is just normal development for RIR's at this particular age. One of my other girls started to get a little pinkness around her eyes last night too. No more panic, they are just growing up! I am also pretty sure they are all pullets due to the lack of growth or coloring in their combs. All still small and pale yellow.

I had one cockerel who was one of the last birds to develop comb and wattles. I was hoping he was a big pullet but no, his hormones eventually developed. He is definitely a cockerel. But he developed several weeks after his brothers. I thought he was a pullet for the longest time, and almost put him in with the pullets. Was glad I decided to wait a couple more weeks before moving him!
lau.gif

At what age did you finally realize he was a cockerel? Was he significantly bigger than your pullets? What would have been the harm in putting him in with the pullets other than fertilized eggs?

I don't remember his exact age but it was a good 2 weeks after the last of the other cockerels before his comb started to develop. I butchered three cockerels at 14 weeks and the testes ranged from small navy bean to almost chestnut sized. Those birds all had red combs but the large-testes bird had the brightest comb. The tiny-testes bird was at the bottom of the pecking order.

Development times can vary a lot. The late-blooming cockerel was much bigger than my pullets, which is why I was hoping he WAS a pullet. My pullets are much smaller than they should be per the Standard. A relatively large one would have been right on Standard weight. Once the late-bloomer hit about 7 months old he beefed up to the point where he tied for my largest (heaviest weight) cockerel. The other heavy bird was one of the first to mature.

I wanted the pullets separated from the cockerels because the pullets were not yet mature and they were getting harassed by the males. I wanted the pullets especially to be able to put on some weight without constant stress. I did eventually put one cockerel in with them (I have 8 pullets). But it wasn't the late-bloomer.

My 2 Marans will be 14 weeks the 1st Thursday in Dec. :fl I'm prying I will know by then. I would have to re home in 24 hrs or camp freezer if I wait until first crow. The Black Copper has all black feathers yet, only color is the hackles, a brown/red color. When do cockerel colors start showing? My Lemon has some dark feathers. I do not believe the pullet is supposed have any dark feathers, I have also heard it is not easy to get them to standard. I still need to reduce by 2, I am waiting to find out.

My two Black Copper Marans don't have any copper on them. They are entirely black feathered and are significantly older than yours. It sounds like yours is a cockerel. I'm not sure about the Lemon Marans, though.I believe they'd show the same trait and not have copper hackles.

My 2 Marans will be 14 weeks the 1st Thursday in Dec.
fl.gif
I'm prying I will know by then. I would have to re home in 24 hrs or camp freezer if I wait until first crow. The Black Copper has all black feathers yet, only color is the hackles, a brown/red color. When do cockerel colors start showing? My Lemon has some dark feathers. I do not believe the pullet is supposed have any dark feathers, I have also heard it is not easy to get them to standard. I still need to reduce by 2, I am waiting to find out.

with my BCM I knew most of the cockerels by 12 weeks because most of mine had too much color, all over the chest as well as the neck and back and of course their combs and wattles were a lot bigger and redder. Most of my pullets are too dark so had little to no copper on them and their combs did not start to develop until they were older. It sounds like you probably have pullets. You could post pics, especially over on the black copper thread.

LKD when I drive down on sunday I should be able to help you with sex determination on your birds. See you then. Demo, I have a few green wine bottle for you if you want them ? You could stop over and pick them up ?

I'm a newbie who just joined, so I thought I would introduce myself! I live in an un-incorporated part of Buckeye with my husband and 4 chickens. One started laying last weekend, another is starting to make alot of noise and spending time in the nesting boxes, and the other two are probably still a couple weeks out. We are newbies at little birds, but a few years ago, we raised ostriches! After trolling BYC for the past few months, I figured it was about time I joined! --Cindy

Welcome, Stynch!

LKD, my BCM is totally black too. Speaking of her, her eggs (4 now) have been getting progressively lighter as she lays. But, her egg is already bigger than my EEs (by 0.1 oz, hahaha).

I'm starting to get a little stressed at the upcoming broiler processing on Saturday. They still chirp like chicks!!!!!! But, the big ones are 2.5lbs, ready to be processed as Cornish game hens. Ugh. Life as a meat eater.

Back
Top Bottom