Arizona Chickens

"I agree with the others that you should put up a wind/rain barrier for the area around the nest boxes and roosts. I'd probably put something up across the entire backside and half-way (meaning back to front) on the two sides. Tarps, plastic tablecloths, shower curtains, or heavy (6 mil or better) plastic will work for this. Is the top covered with anything more than shade cloth? If not, I think it would be very good to cover it with wire. Also, is there anything to keep diggers out? If not, I'd suggest a wire apron extending out some distance (18" to 2') 90 degrees from the bottom of the fence wall. It could be buried or simply pinned down on top of the ground. Something like 2" X4" welded wire would be fine to keep dogs and coyotes from getting under. Maybe you have all of these issues already addressed, but it's hard to know from the pics. Finally, before next summer it would be very good to have shade cloth covering the entire south and west sides of your enclosures. With the amount of shade that will make, it will greatly increase the amount of usable area for the chickens. As it is, it looks as if there would be too much sun exposure for the chickens to survive a hot summer day here in AZ. It looks like a great start for chicken enclosures though. "

Thanks for the ideas. We are planning to change it up some. I wasn't comfortable with the roosting poles there and just got some longer ones I'm going to try to hang across the length. We were going to add some poles or wire to the top along with the shade too. We do have the wire at the bottom fanned out on the ground about a foot out right now. My hubby was thinking of adding electric fence wire to the bottom on the outside too, but I want to make sure the chickens won't run into it. We had them in the smaller coop in the summer with lots of shade and a mister set-up on the top. Will probably add that to this coop for next summer too.

Looking to rehome my boys, two French Blue Copper Marans, nine weeks old. Feathered legs. I got them from RedRocketRooster who got them from The Garry Farm. She mentioned that they were from Greenfire lines. T-Rex was huge from the get go and he's already looking out for the girls. No-name is bolder with people and rapidly catching "T" in size. Both will eat from my hand but they are not laps chickens. They are really pretty, though. I'm also going to rehome my nine week old silkies. I don't know their sex but I have a black, a blue and a white. They're gorgeous and complete dufuses. :p Definitely not lap chicks.
Not sure if you found a home already & also if your charging a fee, how much for the 3 silkies? I want some & have some chicks in the brooder that are almost 7 weeks...perfect pairing I think! PM me if your interested.

You have to be NPIP Certified and have each bird tested for diseases. You'll receive a certificate of health once the results come back.

I'm not sure if they actually to ensure you meet these requirements or if they just verbally ask you. Regardless, they are extremely strict in actual enforcement, so I would not take a chance.
Good to know! As it turns out a woman I know who breeds FBlackCMs is interested in doing a genetic study on the blues so she's going to take them. I cannot tell you how relieve I am. Lesson to never get a straight run of anything again!

You have to be NPIP Certified and have each bird tested for diseases. You'll receive a certificate of health once the results come back.

I'm not sure if they actually to ensure you meet these requirements or if they just verbally ask you. Regardless, they are extremely strict in actual enforcement, so I would not take a chance.
No one checks unless you are shipping to extremely strict states (Texas, Michigan, South Carolina and maybe a couple of other south eastern states) You need to check what the import requirements are. Test results are known within moments. My experience in RECEIVING shipped birds is that coming to Phoenix takes longer than it should. It has happened EVERY time.

It is so good to hear so many new members and returning me bers, plus new eggs going into winter. This far south the winter nights are not as long as northern latitudes, :fl May eggs drop gently all winter long. I've have been getting min of 3 eggs and a max of 5 eggs from 5 layers. It has been a dry year. I have some more picks of my girls, and you can have Basil Demosthine, I know you will keep me posted. He has a lot of personality, I am also realistic.
Angie is only 5 weeks old? She looks so much bigger and more developed than my girls who will be 7 weeks this Tuesday. Maybe the Pratt's was wrong when we got them and they said they were 2 weeks already.
OOPS! That should be 09/03/2013...... :he

OOPS! That should be 09/03/2013......
he.gif
Oh Goodness! OK, you had me worried there! I remember when you were certain Basil was a roo, and then you wondered about Angie... then I see her and think only 5 weeks old? What?
It makes sense now, LOL!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom