Arizona Chickens

I wanted to share some of my new babies. I have mostly ameraucana in all the varieties except lavender and splash in my adults and a couple of crested and a RIR and an Ancona. I just got a couple of ameraucana/turken crosses. I am excited to see if they brown or colored eggs and if they will be broody hens or not. they are only 2 months and 4 months and some chicks so I have to be patient for awhile. we bought some more ameraucana's and some of the ameraucana/turkens and some more crested chicks for this year. I am looking to add a few silkies to be brood hens for me. I also added a couple of ducks for my kids.

I am trying to figure out if this will be a hen or a cock so it does not have a name yet

The ducks are Meatball (left) Plucky (middle) and Ducky moemoe (right)

This is miss Fancy Pants

The two buff wheatons are Goldielocks and chicken pocks (lol my son named them)

a blue ameraucana meeting the ducklings

Hi all, I can't remember if I posted here or not, but I have decided not to continue with my Buff Rock breeding plans. I got 2 pair of Standard Bred/show quality Buff Rocks from Cindy Novick, who got them from a well-known breeder back east. Buff Rocks, outside of hatchery stock, are a rare breed and good ones are hard to come by. I already hatched out almost 30 chicks before I made this decision. They are 2 to 5 weeks old. I can also set some more eggs if someone wants newly hatched. See my ad at
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...rocks-barred-and-buff-rhode-island-red-marans

PM me about the older Buff Rock chicks if interested.

I believe some of my flock has been exposed to pox, I don't know how (guessing wild birds). Now I am starting to have chickens show signs of it. I had 3 cases in the past but I just thought they were either caused by fighting or something else, but looking back I think they may have been pox. I am very desperate and need some advice on what I should do. It looks like the dry kind so I'm lucky in that perspective and did some research on it and it said it would just blow through. Is there any way to prevent it from spreading or help get rid of it? Also, have any of your birds gotten this? I was going to hold back on buying some birds from a breeder that has been having difficulty with pox, but now I'm not so sure. If I've already got it, why wait? I'll try and post some pictures if the birds I suspect may have it.

I believe some of my flock has been exposed to pox, I don't know how (guessing wild birds). Now I am starting to have chickens show signs of it. I had 3 cases in the past but I just thought they were either caused by fighting or something else, but looking back I think they may have been pox. I am very desperate and need some advice on what I should do. It looks like the dry kind so I'm lucky in that perspective and did some research on it and it said it would just blow through. Is there any way to prevent it from spreading or help get rid of it? Also, have any of your birds gotten this? I was going to hold back on buying some birds from a breeder that has been having difficulty with pox, but now I'm not so sure. If I've already got it, why wait? I'll try and post some pictures if the birds I suspect may have it.

Fowl pox can be carried by mosquitoes. We had a mild winter and the mosquitoes are already out at my place. My approach is to let it run through the flock if it is dry pox, because there is no way I can vaccinate everybody and I want hardy birds that shake off the diseases that are prevalent in the area. In previous years, by the time I figured out what it was virtually the whole flock had it anyway. Everyone recovered and I didn't see any serious long term effects from it. Although it is possible their growth may have been affected... I noticed the broody-raised chicks that hatched in late October last year grew a whole lot faster than the chicks who had to raise themselves in the springtime. It is possible part of the growth difference is due to the fall hatch. Mosquitoes were not so prevalent while those fall chicks were growing out. More stuff to pay attention to in the future... it never ends
smile.png

Everyone has their own approach to things, so your management decisions may be different from other peoples'. Good luck!

question: Dose anyone know if Honorably Discharged Army can stay at military Campgrounds? I have been trying to figure it out.

I am coming close to picking up my camper, everything is falling in place. I am working on a design for my truck bed coop, I may even have a renter for my house (a chicken friendly house). I plan a a shake down trip, without chickens. Then the real think in May. I have started my membership in KOA and Good Neighbor Sam, looking into others to see what they can do for me. I found 1 RV place in North Virginia that is very chicken friendly, they have their own chickens that free range, and in in Florida.

I am starting to get excited, definitely looking forward to my (est 2 yr adventure).

question: Dose anyone know if Honorably Discharged Army can stay at military Campgrounds? I have been trying to figure it out.

I am coming close to picking up my camper, everything is falling in place. I am working on a design for my truck bed coop, I may even have a renter for my house (a chicken friendly house). I plan a a shake down trip, without chickens. Then the real think in May. I have started my membership in KOA and Good Neighbor Sam, looking into others to see what they can do for me. I found 1 RV place in North Virginia that is very chicken friendly, they have their own chickens that free range, and in in Florida.

I am starting to get excited, definitely looking forward to my (est 2 yr adventure).

my SIL and daughter were able to stay at the military campgrounds in Flagstaff after they retired. SO I'm thinking yes as long as you have your ID.

my SIL and daughter were able to stay at the military campgrounds in Flagstaff after they retired.  SO I'm thinking yes as long as you have your ID.
I did not retire from the army, I do not have a military ID, I did not serve during war time. I only served and received an honorable discharge. I know those retired from the military can stay. Half of all American have served and received honorable discharge. Is that all it requires?

Fowl pox can be carried by mosquitoes. We had a mild winter and the mosquitoes are already out at my place. My approach is to let it run through the flock if it is dry pox, because there is no way I can vaccinate everybody and I want hardy birds that shake off the diseases that are prevalent in the area. In previous years, by the time I figured out what it was virtually the whole flock had it anyway. Everyone recovered and I didn't see any serious long term effects from it. Although it is possible their growth may have been affected... I noticed the broody-raised chicks that hatched in late October last year grew a whole lot faster than the chicks who had to raise themselves in the springtime. It is possible part of the growth difference is due to the fall hatch. Mosquitoes were not so prevalent while those fall chicks were growing out. More stuff to pay attention to in the future... it never ends
smile.png

Everyone has their own approach to things, so your management decisions may be different from other peoples'. Good luck!

I think I'll just let it run its course. After all once they've got it, they cant get it again. Thanks!

I did not retire from the army, I do not have a military ID, I did not serve during war time. I only served and received an honorable discharge. I know those retired from the military can stay. Half of all American have served and received honorable discharge. Is that all it requires?
You have to have an identity card to take advantage of those kind of perks. My husband is ex-military and he carries an identification card. He shows it at Golden Corral when they have their Veteran's Day free meals for veterans.

Right now this is the list that I am keeping:
ERNIE
ROSY (renamed)
Lucy & Lisa
marY the OR is going to be re-homed to a good home.

By the way I think she has gone boody again. If anyone is interested she is up for sale. I am asking $15.00 each. 2 have found a good home. I am in no hurry and can keep them just fine for a month or may be 2. Hope to be gone by May 30.

If the 3 older girls can not adjust to traveling life then they will be up for adoption as well. I will have to start with chicks. Sense I am going to bring up to 2 pullets if I am lucky and have 2. No idea of what kind of egg. Part of the adventure.

Back
Top Bottom