Arizona Chickens

Happy Monday everyone!!!! Man, this thread moves fast! I feel like I need to re-introduce myself !

Added a few more to my clutch last week. Two Partridge Rocks, two GLW and four ducks. I have 5 geese coming this week (one that I am trying to hatch myself, eeeeek!) and 40+ eggs BLRW& Welsummers hatching next Monday.

All of these coops, brooders and pins are really adding up in $$ department. Pricey, little addiction going on here! But I love it!!

Can some one help me with how to load a picture on here? I can't figure it out
hmm.png

welcome-byc.gif
to all of the new Arizona chicken addicts!! We are all here to contribute to your addiction.

I have been wanting to set some eggs for my DS's showbirds ever since we got back from the fair, at the end of April. However, I have not had a broody, and I don't have an incubator. A friend has an incubator, but is not setting eggs anytime soon.
hu.gif

Yesterday, while I was cleaning out the chicken pens, I noticed that one of my RIR bantam hens was sitting in the corner of her pen, spread out, with some of her feathers laying around her. I got so excited I got a little nesting box, filled it with bedding and sat it in the corner. Next time I looked, she was out walking around.
he.gif
So, I took the box out of her pen.

Last night, when I went to water, she was back in the corner. I told my DS to keep an eye on her today, and she was still in the corner this morning. Could it be that I have a broody?
fl.gif
If so, now all I have to do is get the showbirds to lay eggs before she decides to quit.

In the meantime, I am enjoying my 26 Buckeye chicks, and my DS's 2 Americauna chicks.

Angie

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm very happy that you like her. We've got or roo boy in the broooder box too sp no one can pick on him. Hubby is still building more coops. I just wish my chicks o the porch would grow faster so we could put them together.

dofnup, I have gone to the urgent care quite a few times. Our insurance doesn't cover urgent care and a normal MD would be even worse in price.
smile.png
Thanks for all the info, I'm off to go buy acidophilus!

Cheerful, Thanks for the advice! It sounds like that should be my route.
smile.png

:O Chook news...I have a cuteness overload induced seizure when I look into my brooder. It's friggen adorable. The Brahma keeps getting poopy butt though. I always wipe her up but would it be ok to carefully trip the feather below her vent? I'm afraid it'll block up bad in the middle of the night.

Quote:
I'm very happy that you like her. We've got or roo boy in the broooder box too sp no one can pick on him. Hubby is still building more coops. I just wish my chicks o the porch would grow faster so we could put them together.

Quote:
I used olive oil on butts when i had my big order of chicks. It madee it much easier to clean up. I never had anyone get blocked overnight, even the ones who had really gross butts. The down side to olive oil is if you are using mash feed it can stick to the oil.

Quote:
-go up to blue bar.
-click on uploads
-second window will pop up
-click on browse, little window will come up
-select picture in computer files
-click ok, window will close
-click submit
-window will change
-click in image feild box
-select all or "control a"
-copy or "control c"
-go back to post a reply textbox (other window)
-paste or "control v"
-finish typing
-click "submit" or "preview"

Finally-I hung up some drapes along the run...it looks hilariously awful! eventually I will have vines growing there, but until then *snicker* i look forward to the DH trying to agree with me when I say, "Dont they look cuuuuuuttte?"

I decided i was done talking about planting vines....so after my eye appt. I bought a bunch of garpe vines (the home depot on northsight had 5 gallons, and the Walmart next to it had 1 gallons for $3.50) Bought big pots, planted, and tied them to the run. Pictures to follow, once I am done messing with my husband about the drapes....
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I used olive oil on butts when i had my big order of chicks. It madee it much easier to clean up. I never had anyone get blocked overnight, even the ones who had really gross butts. The down side to olive oil is if you are using mash feed it can stick to the oil.

Yeah I did use olive oil but she sits down in the food and it makes it worse. @_@

We had a birthday party here yesterday and everybody loved her, we think she is great.

I put water and food up in the coop because the others are just staying up there to avoid crossing mama but I may take out the food so that they have to go down to the run. Last night I went out to check if everyone was warm enough and cover the end of the run since Basil and the chicks were in the run and it was windy. Surprise surprise, she had brought the chicks up in the coop and the were all nestled in the corner.

Back
Top Bottom