Arizona Chickens

I am sure you have already seen this article.. if not here is one..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Edit,, here is another one..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

You mentioned a sticky chick.. Here is another article
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mushy-chick-disease-yolk-sack-infection-omphalitis

Hi, yes, I read all of those, thanks.

I think the problem was me, not the eggs. :/   Temp was steadly, but the humidity was all over the place. 

I'll give the Marans eggs another day or 2, but I think they are goners.. 

My sticky chick is doing fine, feisty little fuzzball now.

So, assuming the last 3 eggs are not viable, my hatch rate for the 15 shipped eggs is 26.7%.  Bummer, but at least I have 4 adorable chickies. 

A dear friend & I did the same thing with shipped eggs.. 0 zero percent success.. They were literally tossed so hard from truck to truck. More than half were broken.. We did have one make it but then died.. It was so sad..

Keep them in their respective coops for a week or so without letting them out. They get comfy and learn where the food and water is. Then let them out separately and when it's time to put them back whatever routine you do, do it the same each time. As dumb as chickens are they will learn the routine. If you just leave them out until dusk more than likely they will go in to the coop to roost on their own. I have turkey's and hens that graze together but when I start the routine everyone knows where home is and they go to their respective coops.

We have a few dogs that like chicken for dinner.. They go inside or their kennel.. When we let them out back.. When they are out front, we always have a dog, "Sammy", female, out with them. She is a border collie.. It is her job to watch them.. She needs a job.. Her ther job is to carry her own water on walks..
Yes, you can train them.. I use two word's. Bug & treat.. They come running.. Sometimes this works & sometimes not.. We let them free range closer to bed time. We invite the neighbors to join in & hang out front. 5-6 pm is when we open up the gates for the front yard.. We usually have evening tea & enjoy the weather, pet's & wonderful neighbors.. You could have them all out at the same time right before dinner. That way they will put themselves to bed..

You need to teach them to come when you call.  You can even have a different call for each flock if you want to.
Every time you give them treats, call them first.  They'll catch on pretty fast.  Then just call them in and give them treats when you want them to go in.
All of my chickens learn to come when called.  It's safer for them too because you can put them up quickly if you see a hawk or some other danger.

Yup, that is the rooster's nails & spurs causing the feather loss on the hens. I have aprons that cover the back & upper wings on my hens. The feathers will grow back. I have some hens that are more favored by their roos than others & other hens I don't have to put aprons on because the roos can't catch them!

When you want your birds back in the run, what I do is shake the bag of mealworms in the run & once everyone is in I throw a handful down then shut the door with them inside.

Thanks for everyone chiming in.

I am taking a live-in position at a dog boarding facility starting Sept. 1. in San Tan.

The owners name is Fran and hopefully she's going to join here. Very nice lady with an Assortment of hens for eggs and Roos raising for food. She has them separated now in little sheds. The Roos seemed fine but the hens wing and back feathers are messed up. I think she's had them separated for a bit now but still no feathers. Will they come back now that they're separated?

The reason I was asking about training them to go into their run is because the dogs are let out a few times per day. They're client dogs and won't be chicken proof. The land could use the nutrient boost and pest control they provide as well. I'm sure they'll keep the place clear of ticks and fleas.

I think she and I are gonna start a garden too as it's 2.5 acres with half being empty. She's not against raising a hog or anything either. Very excited.

One step closer to our dream home and homestead with this move.

@K9Dave
Yes I do believe their feathers will come back.. We have a hen, that had a rooster, that tore out her head feathers. It has been 3 months with no growth.. So I don't know, but they are always growing new feathers.. Hope this helps
Congradulations on your new journey.. Keep us posted.. And phots

Hi! I'm new to BYC chicken and chickens, in general. I moved from Central Tucson to Oro Valley in January and got chicks in February. It's been an adventure!

Is there anyone else from Tucson, AZ here?

Hi! I'm new to BYC chicken and chickens, in general. I moved from Central Tucson to Oro Valley in January and got chicks in February. It's been an adventure!

Is there anyone else from Tucson, AZ here?
welcome. Pretty new myself and No ma'am I don't think there is anyone on here from Tucson. No one that matters anyways. Ha just pickin' on 'em. They have a big group I think.

What kind of chickens do you have?

@K9Dave
Yes I do believe their feathers will come back.. We have a hen, that had a rooster, that tore out her head feathers. It has been 3 months with no growth.. So I don't know, but they are always growing new feathers.. Hope this helps

Thank you. Guess what? She has an incubator.

I just picked up an issue of "Poultry World" July/August 2014 for an article on parasites. In it there is a walk throw of a necropsy. I remember way back there had been questions on what was being looked at. For one it was those yellow grainy bits flouting around. That is an indication of infection. The birds body anti body's, white cells and such at work. The article explains a lot. If anyone is interested I suggest you find the magazine and read the article. I do not know if there is on on-line version of the magazine. The articali bought it for did not have anything I already did not know, that is all-right, it never hurts, I never know until I read content. It confirmed that using DE in dust bath is helpful.

I have always believed in necropsy as being important, I am not surprised at just how many people do not do them and will not. It is unpleasant, and if the chicken died over 24 hours ago, it is a whole nother leave of unpleasantness. I will not touch that, at lest until I have a toxic wast suit and breather. :sick But a fresh body it is a must. I like to know if I have something going on. I learned that I was over feeding my girls hot feed, and they had water on the heart and enlarged livers. I was unaware of hot feeds until them. Did not know the question to ask.

@K9Dave

Thank you. Guess what? She has an incubator.

Sweet, what do ya all want to hatch? :jumpy

Back
Top Bottom