Arizona Chickens

@jackiezim Go with the velcro - costs less & works better. I bought the collar & my roo took it off in 2 minutes. I kept putting it on him & he ended up getting faster taking it off. Took him 2 seconds the last time I tried it. Went to Joanns & bought 1/2 yd of 2" wide velcro & it works! I have it on him because he has the most annoying crow - sounds like a woman screaming while being strangled. My other roos have pleasant crows & they don't have collars on them.

@jackiezim Go with the velcro - costs less & works better. I bought the collar & my roo took it off in 2 minutes. I kept putting it on him & he ended up getting faster taking it off. Took him 2 seconds the last time I tried it. Went to Joanns & bought 1/2 yd of 2" wide velcro & it works! I have it on him because he has the most annoying crow - sounds like a woman screaming while being strangled. My other roos have pleasant crows & they don't have collars on them.

Thanks for the advice. I will try the Velcro first. I live in Mesa and I really would like to keep him.

My daughters friend has this rooster for FFA, and does not know it's breed. Is it a speckled sussex? I'm not sure, He seems to be a Bantam sized bird to me.

Last edited:
Quote: Yep, that's a rooster. :)
My pullet was also very attached to the boys. I did find a home for them, though. They went to a home with 40 hens! They'll be busy. lol
Now the pullet is a bit of a loner, but I'm sure she'll find a friend as soon as she calms down and stops looking for the boys.
I have seen the collar and I was tempted to keep one, but I don't really have a lot more room in my coop and I'd rather save the room for egg producing pets.

What's the P before the BR? Drawing a blank here. I now have a very pretty barred rock, that finally interests my wife a little. She couldn't care less about the chickens really, but another member here gave me a BR and EE the other day and she has now claimed both as "her Chickens" so that's a good sign. I plan to one day build a large iron run/coop, and I was worried I'd be the only one enjoying it. What size are y'all going with? I'm inheriting an Out Building for my girls with our move at the end of the month. Is your Leghorn very flighty?
Pabst ...
yesss.gif

Sorry. LOL. Plymouth Barred Rock

I am in Tucson. Well Picture Rocks actually. I have chickens and horses out here.
Sweet! I originally wanted a place where I could have horses, but I wanted to be in Amphi School District for my son. I couldn't find an affordable place. I've ridden and showed throughout my life, but it's not happening now because of money.

What's the P before the BR? Drawing a blank here. I now have a very pretty barred rock, that finally interests my wife a little. She couldn't care less about the chickens really, but another member here gave me a BR and EE the other day and she has now claimed both as "her Chickens" so that's a good sign. I plan to one day build a large iron run/coop, and I was worried I'd be the only one enjoying it. What size are y'all going with? I'm inheriting an Out Building for my girls with our move at the end of the month. Is your Leghorn very flighty?
We are building a pen using the back wall of the shed you see in the picture ... it'll probably be 14'x20'--ish. My roommate is the engineer with the construction brains. We are just using t-poles and 48" welded wire fencing. Right now they free range part of the day (when the dogs are inside). This will make it easier to let them roam in a limited area all day and still be able to let the dogs out.

Pabst ... :yesss:

Sorry. LOL. Plymouth Barred Rock

Yeh that's it. Can't do Pabst anymore. Lol

We are building a pen using the back wall of the shed you see in the picture ... it'll probably be 14'x20'--ish. My roommate is the engineer with the construction brains. We are just using t-poles and 48" welded wire fencing. Right now they free range part of the day (when the dogs are inside). This will make it easier to let them roam in a limited area all day and still be able to let the dogs out.

Sounds fun.

Cats, dogs, coyotes, bobcats, oh my!

Tractor Supply, freeway frontage road (west side) just north of Ina.
Fence controller, $49
200' aluminum wire, $12 per spool
Isolators, about $10 a bag, depending on type.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Back
Top Bottom