Arizona Chickens

Sill, you're making me want to raise quail!
Just call me the "enabler".

Okay, that's it. I am going to raise quail! At this point, the only thing I will need to buy is more hardware cloth.

My biggest question--if I want a sustaining flock (covey?) of quail (I will use them for meat and eggs), will I need an incubator? The broodiness has been breed out of them, if I recall correctly?
I'm just busy (okay, lazy) enough that I don't really want to set eggs and raise chicks on a constant basis.

In other news, I did find some CX chicks at the feedstore right after I posted that I couldn't order any until it was too hot. So I have 6 meat babies and they are doing so well--only 6 chicks is so relaxing compared to my regular orders of 10-12 CX with 4-6 extras that are usually sent. I'm going back this weekend to see if the feedstore has more--the CX usually don't sell well there and I've gotten almost full grown meat birds for under $5, with very little work, cleanup, and feed costs on my part!
Yes you need an incubator. They never go broody, if one does it makes the quail news and people all over the world talk about it. Seriously. I've found them easy to raise, and since they are mature by 8 weeks quick to get meat and eggs.

Awesome to get bigger CXs for that price! What a deal!

where can I get quail in Phoenix
There are always quail listed on Phoenix Craigslist under farm and garden. I've seen them at The Stock shop occasionally, usually mature roos. I sometimes have quail to sell depending on what is in the incubator and brooder at the time. I don't usually sell eggs or chicks, I raise them up, keep the biggest for breeding, cull the extra roos (freezer camp) and set up breeding groups to sell.

I recently read about a good chicken treat... freezing corn in ice inside a bundt cake pan. The chickens peck at the ice to get the corn and it cools them down. Seeing as we're about to hit our first 90 degree day here, I was thinking of trying it. Anyone else ever tried it?
I also save seeds from melons and squash - we eat lots of both - and put that in with whatever is either really cheeeeep on sale or an overabundance looking a little peaked. I've been know to cut watermelon rind up smaller so they can get to it in the ice too..... They love it and it keeps them busy as well. I always but mine in the shade.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when Pratts gets there baby chicks

They get new orders on Fridays. If you're looking for a specific breed you'll have to call to see when they get them in
1f60a.png

WHOOHOO!!!!! YIPPEE!!!! Chickies are pipping and hatching!! 3 out, one slow zipper about half way, 3 or 4 more pips!!
This is day 20. I'll be up all night watching. LOL
ya.gif
yesss.gif
clap.gif

UPDATE: now there are 8! 7 in great shape, the stuck zipper I assisted, the chick was ready but was malpositioned I think. He/she has pushed out of the shell and is resting. Breathing okay. Looks like maybe some sticky chick involved but not too bad. My humidity is more than adequate. I'll check the chick in a half hour and see how it's doing.
SO MUCH FUN!!!! Love hatching chicks!!
yippiechickie.gif

Hatching babies sure does sound like a lot of fun. I have a lady who was pecked really hard and her whole face was bloody. I cleaned her off and she scratched her face. So its still bloody. I isolated her and restrained her feet so it was time to scab over. I felt so bad doing it but at least she should stop bleeding now.

Hatching babies sure does sound like a lot of fun. I have a lady who was pecked really hard and her whole face was bloody. I cleaned her off and she scratched her face. So its still bloody. I isolated her and restrained her feet so it was time to scab over. I felt so bad doing it but at least she should stop bleeding now.

Awww, hope she's going to be okay.
fl.gif

Does anyone know when Pratts gets there baby chicks

They get new orders on Fridays. If you're looking for a specific breed you'll have to call to see when they get them in
1f60a.png

Honestly, I would find a local breeder.. Just about every chick I have purchased there was sick.. It was only because we had SO MANY
broody hen's no one had chicks at the time the Moma's were ready for their new babies.. if I did not know about chicken's they would of died..

[COLOR=0000FF]WHOOHOO!!!!!   YIPPEE!!!!   Chickies are pipping and hatching!!  3 out, one slow zipper about half way, 3 or 4 more pips!![/COLOR]
[COLOR=0000FF]This is day 20.  I'll be up all night watching. LOL [/COLOR] :ya :yesss: :clap

UPDATE:  now there are 8!  7 in great shape, the stuck zipper I assisted, the chick was ready but was malpositioned I think.  He/she has pushed out of the shell and is resting.  Breathing okay.  Looks like maybe some sticky chick involved but not too bad.  My humidity is more than adequate.  I'll check the chick in a half hour and see how it's doing.
SO MUCH FUN!!!!  Love hatching chicks!!  :yiipchick

:goodpost:

Congratulations.. Photo's.. ??

:hugs

How old?

She is 5 months and I'm sure she will be okay. I have one hen that is too rough. I think she might need to go to freezer camp. this is the 2nd bird that has shown up pecked. Plus I know they are crowded. I'm almost finished with the run. I think that will help a lot.

Back
Top Bottom