Arizona Chickens

As long as ya all will stay fer dinner.. We will roast up some hotdog's and marshmallows..
sounds like a date! set it up! maybe Sill can bring some quail kabobs and I will bring fresh veggies from the gigantor garden! in other news, My perfectly patient man has made my chickens a paradise mansion to live in. It is all built in 4 foot sections so that when we go to move it can be taken apart and laid flat on the trailer for transport! I will make the pictures small, click on them, since there are going to be a lot! and I got quail from @Sill . I created a stand for an old sugar glider cage and created them a little Quail paradise with lots of baskets from the dollar store! My son is in wonderment at the eggs. The garden is doing well! It is so pretty and green! I also have a Gold laced Wyandotte rooster I am looking to rehome. If any one is interested. sorry this is so long, I had to share our busy projects! *edited to add pics of the roo, he is 5 months.
Wow, look's wonderful...

I recently read about a good chicken treat... freezing corn in ice inside a bundt cake pan. The chickens peck at the ice to get the corn and it cools them down. Seeing as we're about to hit our first 90 degree day here, I was thinking of trying it. Anyone else ever tried it? 

Not corn, but grapes & watermelon. Spoiled chicken's, huh...

Does anyone know when Pratts gets there baby chicks

I believe ideal

Okay, that's it.  I am going to raise quail!  At this point, the only thing I will need to buy is more hardware cloth. 

My biggest question--if I want a sustaining flock (covey?) of quail (I will use them for meat and eggs), will I need an incubator?  The broodiness has been breed out of them, if I recall correctly? 
I'm just busy (okay, lazy) enough that I don't really want to set eggs and raise chicks on a constant basis.  

In other news, I did find some CX chicks at the feedstore right after I posted that I couldn't order any until it was too hot.  So I have 6 meat babies and they are doing so well--only 6 chicks is so relaxing compared to my regular orders of 10-12 CX with 4-6 extras that are usually sent.   I'm going back this weekend to see if the feedstore has more--the CX usually don't sell well there and I've gotten almost full grown meat birds for under $5, with very little work, cleanup, and feed costs on my part! 

We try not to talk about eating chicken if front of ours.. However we do tell them that they better start laying & leaving us a egg surprise..

I recently read about a good chicken treat... freezing corn in ice inside a bundt cake pan. The chickens peck at the ice to get the corn and it cools them down. Seeing as we're about to hit our first 90 degree day here, I was thinking of trying it. Anyone else ever tried it?
Sounds like a fun way to get cool. Summer fruit would be great, maybe some greens or meal worms?

OMG! I want to come to your house for dinner! LOL!
bow.gif
LOL, maybe we should do a pot luck some day!

Back
Top Bottom