Arizona Chickens

They need a cage, coop, run, aviary or tractor. They cannot free range, at all! They are small enough that pretty much everything that can eat meat will want to eat them plus they have zero sense of self-preservation. If one gets out they will literally just sit and watch something come up to eat them. They don't have a "homing" instinct like chickens and won't return to a coop to sleep. Also it is illegal to release domestic quail without a permit. They can release illness into wild quail populations that have no resistance to them. It can be an ecological disaster to release domestic quail.

Coturnix do best in groups or coveys of 3-7 hens per roo if you want fertile eggs, less hens per roo and the hens can get over-bred. If you only want egg production you can just keep hens, which are quieter anyway though the quail roo crows are not too loud. More room is always better for housing but 2 foot by 2 foot enclosure can house a small covey as long as they have places to get away from each other if desired. Most of my coveys are in 2x4 foot cages.

They are the cutest egg laying machines there is. They rival the best of the best in layer chickens for number of eggs laid per year and they can start laying at 8 weeks of age.

From eggs...

to chicks in 18 days...

gangly youngster at 14 days...

full grown at 8 weeks.

White quail photo bomb!

They are very cute! So...do you raise them for show...just for the pleasure of having them...? I can't imagine you get must sustenance from those little bitty eggs, though I know they're considered a delicacy of fine cuisine.

They are very cute! So...do you raise them for show...just for the pleasure of having them...? I can't imagine you get must sustenance from those little bitty eggs, though I know they're considered a delicacy of fine cuisine.

Mainly for eggs and meat. Both are delish. The eggs are a significant part of my DH's diet since he has stomach problems and can't eat many foods.

About a week's worth of quail eggs

Great fried on a salad, cute deviled eggs or just hard boiled to pop into your mouth.

They are quick to process, especially skinned.

Four on a plate, two marinated/braised, two bacon wraped/glazed. My brother-in-law considers it an insult if we prepare quail meat and don't invite him for dinner!
roll.png

I'm glad you asked about the fly preditor... I don't know what you get when you use the referral code.. But I hope it is good..:highfive:

If anyone has not tried this, so far I have to say it has worked. Less fly's... Here is their number.. 1-877-314-7739 or go on line www.spalding-labs.com

Once you join up you recieve the little buggers that will go out and eat the fly larva... Yeah!!! If you want use referral code 264068298.. Enjoy..

The number wouldn't work at the web site so I called them and they had me complete the online order then call them back with your invoice number so you would get referral credit.  Don't know what that would be, but I hope it's something!

Beautiful flowers!   The second pic looks like a scented geranium. 

It is a scented geranium!  They are very pretty but I have yet to have one make it through summer.  Maybe I just don't have the right spot yet.

No scented geranium.. I wish.. Just citronella. When you come by you'll see..

[COLOR=333333][COLOR=005CB1] [/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333][COLOR=005CB1] [/COLOR][/COLOR]
We make a big deal when it is here at our home.. We have had 3 plus parties just for the seed box... :goodpost: :lau
@City farm , you should have it come to your house again, I want it, but I don't have the nice set up for parties. I vote it comes to your house. hahahahha
As long as ya all will stay fer dinner.. We will roast up some hotdog's and marshmallows..

Okay, now again both jungle fowl are trying to go broody.. Seriously crazy bird's!! Here is Burt chasing after Pretty once I got her out of the nesting box.. He chased her all over the place.. It is like the road runner in action.. Beep, beep..

As long as ya all will stay fer dinner.. We will roast up some hotdog's and marshmallows..
sounds like a date! set it up! maybe Sill can bring some quail kabobs and I will bring fresh veggies from the gigantor garden!

in other news, My perfectly patient man has made my chickens a paradise mansion to live in. It is all built in 4 foot sections so that when we go to move it can be taken apart and laid flat on the trailer for transport! I will make the pictures small, click on them, since there are going to be a lot!

and I got quail from @Sill . I created a stand for an old sugar glider cage and created them a little Quail paradise with lots of baskets from the dollar store! My son is in wonderment at the eggs.

The garden is doing well! It is so pretty and green! I also have a Gold laced Wyandotte rooster I am looking to rehome. If any one is interested.

sorry this is so long, I had to share our busy projects!
*edited to add pics of the roo, he is 5 months.

Last edited:
sounds like a date! set it up! maybe Sill can bring some quail kabobs and I will bring fresh veggies from the gigantor garden! in other news, My perfectly patient man has made my chickens a paradise mansion to live in. It is all built in 4 foot sections so that when we go to move it can be taken apart and laid flat on the trailer for transport! I will make the pictures small, click on them, since there are going to be a lot! and I got quail from @Sill . I created a stand for an old sugar glider cage and created them a little Quail paradise with lots of baskets from the dollar store! My son is in wonderment at the eggs. The garden is doing well! It is so pretty and green! I also have a Gold laced Wyandotte rooster I am looking to rehome. If any one is interested. sorry this is so long, I had to share our busy projects! *edited to add pics of the roo, he is 5 months.
I am green with envy over your beautiful new coop Bonnie! Your husband did a great job on the design. Your son looks so cute with all those eggs! The radishes look lovely too.

It is a scented geranium! They are very pretty but I have yet to have one make it through summer. Maybe I just don't have the right spot yet.

When you get one to last through the summer let me know how! I really like the aroma they make but I too have not been able to get one to survive a whole year.

Back
Top Bottom