Arizona Chickens

Hey everyone! Checking in. The work on the bar is taking up most of my time. I came home early today because my wife said there was an issue with one of the girls. 

Wyandotte hen, appx -6-7 month old, laying regularly, eating and drinking and otherwise acting normal, except...
She's walking with her toes curled under on one foot. Both foot pads look good and healthy. She shows no signs of pain. I wrapped it to give some support in case she hurt it, but she's still walking with her toes under. This just started so I'm leaning toward an injury. 
Thoughts? 

Hey everybody! Doing well here. Working 80hrs a week between my job and getting my bar together. I'm pooped. This also takes away time to spend with my flock. I've started giving them greens everyday, plus some B syrup stuff down the gullet once a day. Now I have 2 Wyandottes who are limping pretty bad. I'm not sure what else to do for them. It's going on the 3rd week. If they don't show improvement soon, I'll cull them. The 3rd has gone broody. I need to break her. 
Compared to my first flock, these birds sure are pretty but a lot more finicky. My last flock (Buff Orps, Barred Rocks and RIR) ate anything and everything I gave them. These birds prefer crumble and weeds. Weird. They do love peanuts though. 

Busy.. But it will pay off! Very exciting & will be rewarding once you brew, kick up your feet and enjoy!! We planon coming there for a visit.. We will pop on over for a dark smooth beer.. Hope a bunch of you can make it!!??? Oh what about doing the seed exchange there???

Hope you are able to post photos??

Yes! Of course! This is cluckers, my black sex link:

And Pepper, my amerecauna:

These are old pics of them around 2 weeks. They're about 4 weeks old now and getting big and plump. Pepper is a bit bigger than Clucks, is this normal? Is it due to their breed? Are amerecauna's usually bigger?

Clucks is a lot more friendly than Pepper. Pepper is friendly but flighty compared to Clucks. But they both seem like best friends.

Love the babies!! Although we love the egg basket more!!
The top is from our previous flock, the ones with chocolate designs are from @Sill. Jumbo quail.. The others around her egg's are wild dove egg's from a friend that rescues wild bird that need rehab, then finally a duck egg..

Bite size quail egg's..

I knew Ameraucana's and EE's were commonly mistaken for one another. I also knew the difference between colored eggs that they both produced. Ameraucana's produce blue eggs and EE's can produce a range of different colored eggs. What I didn't know was how to tell the difference. Thank you for this. I'm pretty bummed that this isn't an Ameraucauna like I thought it was. I always wanted an Easter Egger but I also wanted an Ameracauna as well. Eventually, I want a white egger layer as well. Do Black Sex Links produce brown eggs? 

I have some pure BBS Ameraucanas (Thanks to @desertmarcy ) that lay nice turquoise blue eggs. I recently also bought some feed store "Ameraucanas" that are the chipmunk stripe color pattern, but they do have puffy cheeks and slate legs, no beards yet. I don't have any expectations from them, just need to wait about 5 or 6 months to check out their egg color.

Ohhh, that sounds nice.. I bet you guy's are getting a ton of egg's.. What have you been cookin with them lately ??

I remember the rude awakening I got when I understood the difference - jeez - just wasn't fair!!  Anyhow I have a sweet leghorn that I expected white eggs from and I get the most beautiful, smooth, cream colored egg.  Obviously she's a cross with something.  My barred rock who lays a dark speckled must be a cross with a black copper marans.  She is close to 4 years old and still gives me 3 to 4 eggs a week.  They are getting smaller this year but I love the color.    I might be interested in a BCM/BR cross with no feathered legs@desertmarcy

I have a few in the incubator due to hatch 4/27. Most of them have been hatching with a few leg feathers. Not sure any of them have been completely clean-legged.

There is such a difference when purchasing from a reputable breeder like desertmarcy !! You will have way better chickens, heathier.. More beautiful ect... I think she will sell out fast so you better get on her list!!

I had an EE who laid a cream egg. She was sold to me as an Americana with an "I" because that's a tricky way feed stores sell them too :p In my new batch of chicks I have an EE and a blue Ameraucana. I order my chicks from Mypetchicken.com They are one of the few places besides a breeder you can get an Ameraucana but I'm sure they're not the standard of perfection for show quality birds or anything like that which is fine with me. I think mypetchicken gets theirs from Meyer hatchery who started selling blue Ameraucanas back in 2012 i think. I just wanted more chances of a blue egg this time around since my last EE never gave me one so I figured with the EE and an Ameraucana I HAVE to get one even if one bird ends up a rooster lol.

Black sex links do lay light to medium brown eggs, They're VERY good layers. Mine went almost 2 months without missing a single day. These were my 4 original birds with their eggs. I miss them terribly.

I got a couple of EEs that lay shades of brown. Since I had some RSLs I was hoping for more color in my egg basket!

He is really sweet.. Is he that loud? Can you tighten the colar? Oh he is beautiful.. I wish there was a way for them to not crow and lay egg's!
lau.gif
He is quieter than the dogs barking, but he does sound like a rooster.
hmm.png
I tightened the collar once but he was having a hard time eating chunks of kale. I really like having him here when the girls free range since he's given predator warnings while they are out and even chases the pesky doves and sparrows if they get too close. But he's sweet to my old blind dog, the feral cats and humans. I hated adjusting the collar, he took a couple of days to realize I wasn't going to do that to him every time I came near.
sad.png

I know a lot of you are gardeners. This is so sad, I can't believe the powers that be want to take this away from people that just want to grow some food.

Anyone want to come see this with me?

The 14-acre community garden at 41st and Alameda in South Central LA is the largest of its kind in the US. Started as a form of healing after the devastating LA riots in 1992, the South Central Farmers are creating a miracle in one of the country’s most blighted neighborhoods: growing their own food, feeding their families, and creating a community.

But now, bulldozers are poised to level their 14-acre oasis.

The Garden follows the plight of the farmers, from the tilled soil of this urban farm to the polished marble of City Hall, as they speak out, organize, and demand answers.

View trailer here.

Free parking is available at the Brickyard Parking Garage. Bring your ticket and the theater will validate.

Monday, May 4, 2015
Doors open 6:30 p.m.
Showtime 7:00 p.m.
Harkins Valley Art Theater
509 S Mill Ave
Tempe, AZ 85281

RSVP Now »

vimeo_logo.png

Back
Top Bottom