Arizona Chickens

I am finding some things that say 50' from neighbors dwelling and 50' from property lines. If thats correct then, in most cases, chickens are not allowed in the city at all. Not a lot of homes in the city have enough yard to keep a coop 50' from any property line. 

What this is leading me to, is that I may have to get rid of my birds and coop. There's the beginnings of a neighbor war going on here. The hoarder on the street has been complained on numerous times because she covers her yard with carpet and keeps piles of cardboard in her carport and yard. Pack rats are becoming a big problem now. I've seen them dive in and out from under her carpeted yard.  I think people are starting to complain about everything now. The inspector gave me 10 days to clean up the weed/grass in my backyard while telling me my chickens aren't legal. 

I've had hens for nearly 3 years now and have enjoyed it and many neighbors have purchased eggs from me in the past, but if there's gonna be a neighborhood complaint fest, I gotta get rid of them. 
call someone at your local zoning office and have them send you the rules

Have you offered the inspector any tasty beverages or perhaps a VIP coupon to your favorite brewery?
wink.png

I'm sorry you are having to go through this.

Hmmm. My luck he would be Elliot Ness. Front yard is clean. Tomorrow I tackle the back.
Funny thing is, our yard is reasonably clean. There are plenty others in worse shape, especially in the alley. He told us our alley has to be cleaned up also.

Quote:
Inspectors can be wrong. It helps to be polite and respectful with them because they invariably believe they are right and they can make your life miserable if you cross them. But they can and do make mistakes. Do not get rid of any chickens or make any substantial changes to your setup until they have cited you for a violation AND you have exhausted all appeal processes. They may never cite you for a violation. In which case you have no problem.

In the meantime, do some research. If it turns out your coop really is in violation of current codes, find out what it would take to get a variance. If you are on good terms with all of your immediate neighbors and they are all supportive of your project, it is much easier to get a variance. If you are not sure how they might stand on that issue, now is the time to ply them with fresh eggs. Before you have to ask for their assistance.

It is nearly impossible to get a definitive answer out of a government employee when it comes to finding out if a specific setup meets current criteria, unless they have an application with plans and specs in front of them. Even then it can be difficult. They know that whatever they say is going to come back and bite them. So they don't say anything. On the other hand, they should be able to tell you which rules, regulations, and codes apply to your situation. You just have to find the right person to ask. That may take some time.

I hope the 9 square foot maximum coop size you mentioned in another post is a mistake on the inspector's part. That sounds dangerously small. I can't believe the city would limit coop size to something that small. It would be an animal welfare problem for anyone with more than a couple of hens. He might have meant that you needed a building permit for anything larger than 9 square feet, which doesn't really have much to do with it being a chicken coop. It would be an unpermitted structure.

Good luck. And keep us posted.

hugs.gif

(Edited to reposition some of the paragraphs, which managed to get out of order in the original post.)

Last edited:
I am finding some things that say 50' from neighbors dwelling and 50' from property lines. If thats correct then, in most cases, chickens are not allowed in the city at all. Not a lot of homes in the city have enough yard to keep a coop 50' from any property line.

What this is leading me to, is that I may have to get rid of my birds and coop. There's the beginnings of a neighbor war going on here. The hoarder on the street has been complained on numerous times because she covers her yard with carpet and keeps piles of cardboard in her carport and yard. Pack rats are becoming a big problem now. I've seen them dive in and out from under her carpeted yard. I think people are starting to complain about everything now. The inspector gave me 10 days to clean up the weed/grass in my backyard while telling me my chickens aren't legal.

I've had hens for nearly 3 years now and have enjoyed it and many neighbors have purchased eggs from me in the past, but if there's gonna be a neighborhood complaint fest, I gotta get rid of them.
I would think you have had them quite a few years and have some grandfathered rights........check dates on the new info you are seeing.

I lost my two original hens (3 yrs old) last weekend to a predator. Completely my fault. The girls wouldn't enter their coop for a few days after free ranging . I checked the coop several times (during the day and evening) and was unable to locate any reason why. (except the over abundance of ants we have this summer - we've been dealing with) I left the door open in hopes they would return to roost. Next day, my BA was missing and our OE was dead in the bottom of the chicken tractor. Didn't appear to have any obvious injuries. Perhaps a broken neck. I had been planning to add to our small backyard group and have 4 chicks still in the house "brooding". It was sad waking up and not finding our girls ready for their morning treats. They were so friendly. I chose not to do a necropsy on the OE.

Have put the move outside for the chicks on hold as of now. Will be setting a trap that I borrowed to see what might show up.

Just wanted to post my newest additions. Couple of hatchery chicks from the feed store and a couple of dolls from AZChickngoddess. The Hatchery chicks are psycho and can't wait to get more space. The dolls keep me smiling every time I look at them. My family room is getting dusty with two brooding boxes for different sized chicks. Such is life.

Brownie and Little foot getting some outside exercise. I think Barred Rock and Partridge Rock.

Grandson and Brownie (a few weeks ago) having a moment

Dodo and Phyllis (partridge silkie and partridge show girl) wondering why my grandson put those legos out for them to play with. He told me to watch them closely so they don't swallow any small parts. This was last week. They are really starting to fluff out now. I'm not the best photographer.

Inspectors can be wrong. It helps to be polite and respectful with them because they invariably believe they are right and they can make your life miserable if you cross them. But they can and do make mistakes. Do not get rid of any chickens or make any substantial changes to your setup until they have cited you for a violation AND you have exhausted all appeal processes. They may never cite you for a violation. In which case you have no problem.

In the meantime, do some research. If it turns out your coop really is in violation of current codes, find out what it would take to get a variance. If you are on good terms with all of your immediate neighbors and they are all supportive of your project, it is much easier to get a variance. If you are not sure how they might stand on that issue, now is the time to ply them with fresh eggs. Before you have to ask for their assistance.

It is nearly impossible to get a definitive answer out of a government employee when it comes to finding out if a specific setup meets current criteria, unless they have an application with plans and specs in front of them. Even then it can be difficult. They know that whatever they say is going to come back and bite them. So they don't say anything. On the other hand, they should be able to tell you which rules, regulations, and codes apply to your situation. You just have to find the right person to ask. That may take some time.

I hope the 9 square foot maximum coop size you mentioned in another post is a mistake on the inspector's part. That sounds dangerously small. I can't believe the city would limit coop size to something that small. It would be an animal welfare problem for anyone with more than a couple of hens. He might have meant that you needed a building permit for anything larger than 9 square feet, which doesn't really have much to do with it being a chicken coop. It would be an unpermitted structure.

Good luck. And keep us posted.

hugs.gif

(Edited to reposition some of the paragraphs, which managed to get out of order in the original post.)
I have given eggs to neighbors in the past. I don't have much to give right now. 3 hens, ones hasn't laid in months and I'm getting 3 every 2 days out of the other two. Freeloaders.
He didn't come here because of the coop, he was just filling me in on it. If it gets to be an issue, I'm not going to spend time fighting it.
Maybe the 9 sq/ft thing was for non permitted structure.
I think he hit up numerous neighbors today. I saw the guy across the alley working his weed eater on his back yard. I have a feeling he rolled out here for one complaint and nailed everyone while he was here. Probably PO'd that someone took him out of his air conditioned office.

Last edited:
Hmmm. My luck he would be Elliot Ness. Front yard is clean. Tomorrow I tackle the back.
Funny thing is, our yard is reasonably clean. There are plenty others in worse shape, especially in the alley. He told us our alley has to be cleaned up also.

It is very annoying that you get a citation or a complaint when others get away without someone nagging them.
OOps I posted before I saw the post above, silly me
hide.gif

Last edited:
Dang it! If you lived closer to me I could've given you some. On my slow days I only get 8 eggs, but usually I'm getting a dozen per day.
Nice! I'd take you up on the offer if we weren't so far from each other.

I have this beautiful white leghorn/giant cross cockerel up for grabs if anyone wants him $5 rehoming fee, he was hand raised by me and is really good with the two hens I have him in with but he is not what I need for my breeding projects. Thanks in advance.
Beautiful boy! What a comb! What is a giant cross? I don't know that breed.

We just started getting enough eggs to not have to buy them anymore. It's been a year since I lost my old flock and now have 2 girls laying 6 days a week! I'm so happy to have fresh eggs again. The other 7 birds.... definitely freeloaders.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom