Arizona Chickens

I have 3 Turken pullets for sale, laying. their eggs were waiting in the bottom of the pen for me today. They are 7 months old. I will sell the 3 for $10 each or $25 for all 3. willing to trade 1 for egg-sitting/chick sitting. Got 8 eggs due to hatch on Sat the 12 and I poorly planned my spring break, my flight leaves the night before.

Where in AZ are you, generally speaking?

Hey everyone. Been a while. I read and check up on everyone from time to time. It's hard to read about everyone's chickens here and not have mine anymore.

Fortunately today I interviewed and accepted a job at a horse ranch in Skull Valley up near Prescott, Az. Wife and I should be there within the month and I'm allowed to get chickens. (Gonna be living on the Ranch)

The entire place is surrounded by heavy brush and they say the coyotes are horrible and responsible for MANY small dog deaths. Snatch them right off the porch. I will be spending some time deterring them with a rifle or two and a call. What about coop placement?

Basically there is a large barn for the horses that also houses a couple rabbits and a couple goats (kids pets). There's the owners house and then our 5th wheel camper maybe 100 yds from the house and barn. Basically it's acreage of brush with a large circle cutout for the buildings. Very rural.

The wife and I wont be there forever. Just gonna setup something temporarily. Owner says they have a coop I can use that I will just have to make coyote proof.

My question is where should I set this coop up at? We sleep with a fan on at night so I wouldn't hear a coyote at the coop anyways. Am I gonna have to use welded wire to keep these yotes out or what? During the day I think my dogs will keep an eye out but at night it's gonna be trouble I think.

Anybody have this type of property and have tips?

Hey everyone. Been a while. I read and check up on everyone from time to time. It's hard to read about everyone's chickens here and not have mine anymore.

Fortunately today I interviewed and accepted a job at a horse ranch in Skull Valley up near Prescott, Az. Wife and I should be there within the month and I'm allowed to get chickens. (Gonna be living on the Ranch)

The entire place is surrounded by heavy brush and they say the coyotes are horrible and responsible for MANY small dog deaths. Snatch them right off the porch. I will be spending some time deterring them with a rifle or two and a call. What about coop placement?

Basically there is a large barn for the horses that also houses a couple rabbits and a couple goats (kids pets). There's the owners house and then our 5th wheel camper maybe 100 yds from the house and barn. Basically it's acreage of brush with a large circle cutout for the buildings. Very rural.

The wife and I wont be there forever. Just gonna setup something temporarily. Owner says they have a coop I can use that I will just have to make coyote proof.

My question is where should I set this coop up at? We sleep with a fan on at night so I wouldn't hear a coyote at the coop anyways. Am I gonna have to use welded wire to keep these yotes out or what? During the day I think my dogs will keep an eye out but at night it's gonna be trouble I think.

Anybody have this type of property and have tips?

Hay. Yes as in hay for horses. . Dig around coop base. Put chain link, dirt then river rock on top.
Game camera
Set up tin cans that will trip when touched. .
See you soon for a bonfire

Love ACV.. Great advice..

Was the chicks breathing shallow? Sometimes you just never know.. You could make a separate area, hospital area for the one chick you think is getting sick.. I agree that if that chick is sleeping more than normal it will not get better.. By now your temperature in the brooder should be about 80.. Your at 3 week? Plus it is nice outside they can play in the dirt and sunbathe.. We made a screened in area for them.. That way they could spend more time outside in a secure area, Away from predators...keep us posted..

​It seems to be breathing normally it just is acting like the other one; almost always asleep, doesn't really react to much and doesn't want to eat or drink really. Also they aren't 3 weeks they are 3 days. Also I have their brooder at I wanna say like 80-85 which I know is lower then it's supposed to be but when I had it at 90-95 they were all going in the opposite corner of where I have the heat lamp facing. They seem much happier now. But the smallest one I'm not positive will make it.. I'm hoping she gets better.

:hugs

I have an update on the chick that seemed sick. She passed away last night. So now I've gone from 6 chicks to 5 chicks to 7 chicks back to 6 again all in the time span of 3 days. YIKES
The rest of the chicks seem very healthy though so no more loses (hopefully).

Hello everyone. New to the site and new to chickens. Im trying to do some research before i try to talk the wife into raising chickens. I live in a track housing development and want to see if anyone could answer some questons about it.

1. How far from the block wall should i keep the coup and run? Im worried about the radiant heat from summer since the area i have ALWAYS gets sun.
2. How many people have issues with them getting out or free ranging then taking flight over the fence? My fence backs up to a vacent lot which has a very busy intersection. I dont want to be causing issues.
3. I know it depends on the chicken but can anyone share stories of noisy chickens and mad neigbors? I spoke to my neighbors and they seem to be ok with it unless they are noisy.

Our's live along the side of the house & have been fine.. We keep misters, pots of water and the ground wet. It is mostly shade later in the day..
Most chicken's won't go over the wall.. They get loud when they start to lay.. Dog"s are so much louder than chicken's.. You'll be fine..

Anybody within a 2 hour drive of me (Tucson, Phoenix, Show Low, Tempe) willing to help out with some eggs I've got in the incubator. I am scheduled to fly out the day that they are due to start pipping. They are shipped eggs, mostly with saddle-shaped air cells, so I don't want them to be unattended. Will give you a turken pullet in exchange for your assistance (7 month old, laying). If you do not have an incubator already set up, I have a second incubator that I could bring. Would need to meet you either Tuesday or Wednesday. Day 18 starts officially Wednesday at 12 pm, so I'd need to lock them down either the night before or Wed night.

Back
Top Bottom