Arizona Chickens

ISO: Ameracauna hatching eggs or Blue/Splash babies. My last hatch, only 1/4 of my hatched Ameracauna lived. (got a little black pullet, I think)

Trade you: got a young black NN chick, BYM bantam, Splash/Buff mix Orpington pullet, Silver Leghorn pullet, and a Salmon Faverolles cockerel. Willing to offer any of these (2 or three if needed) in exchange.

I have a question, do chickens purr? Whenever I hold my chicks and I'll be letting them they will randomly make a noise that sounds like a cat purring and I have no idea if they are doing it because they are happy or if they don't like it.

I have a question, do chickens purr? Whenever I hold my chicks and I'll be letting them they will randomly make a noise that sounds like a cat purring and I have no idea if they are doing it because they are happy or if they don't like it.

In a way...yes, mine purr too. The first time one of my roosters purred I was afraid he was mad at me or something, but after a while I learned that he was just very, very happy and affectionate. Different birds make different sounds to express their contentment.

In a way...yes, mine purr too. The first time one of my roosters purred I was afraid he was mad at me or something, but after a while I learned that he was just very, very happy and affectionate. Different birds make different sounds to express their contentment.

Ok. Most if not all 6 of my chicks have done it maybe one or two haven't, so I was a little nervous they were upset.

Last edited:
Ok. Most if not all 6 of my chicks have done it maybe one or two haven't, so I was a little nervous they were upset.

With chicks the real cue for me of their satisfaction is when they close their eyes and snuggle in close while I pet them. That's how I learned what each of their "happy noises" are.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom