Arizona Chickens

The chicken swing!

0.jpg

0.jpg

Oh I saw these! They looked cool.

I kept the last 4 seeds to give them more time and 2 more have sprouted. That gives me 14/16. I planted them in pots. Only one has popped up its head so far. I will post pictures when they are actually doing something fun haha.

When should u start letting my chicks dust bath? Also is it normal for chicks to try to dust bath while you hold them? One of my chicks loves being held which I love but she also tried dust bathing on my lap.

When should u start letting my chicks dust bath? Also is it normal for chicks to try to dust bath while you hold them? One of my chicks loves being held which I love but she also tried dust bathing on my lap.

The sooner they're exposed to that dirt the better. When my broody hen raised her clutch she had them dust bathing before they were a week old. Mother knows best!

OK so after months of prodding from my wife I caved and we got 5 chicks this weekend, 2 buffs, 2 ameracuanas (i think I spelled it right) and 2 yellow ones that will grow into white hens with black spots, I forgot the name lol. So I spent the weekend working on a coop and Im almost done, still need to do some trim work, add roof, latches, add hardware cloth and install the big door. In one pic you can see the door leaning up against the side, I made it so that the whole wall will be hardware cloth and will open for easy maintenance. I made large vents all around the top of the other 3 sides for plenty of ventilation in our AZ summers. My question I have now is this, should I build a run or I would ideally like to fence off this whole side of the house in the pic below (don't judge me by the weeds I have 3 kids and a full time job and we NEVER go on this side of the house so it gets neglected) This side of the house is against the street and away from neighbors. I would love to just fence that off and let them have the full run of that side of the yard all day but worry about them jumping/flying to the top of the wall or over it. I know I can cut their flight feathers but still worry. What do you think I should do, let them have the run of that side or build a run for them. Also that side of the yard is 10 foot wide and in the shade all day but about an hour or so mid day. The coop is 4x4'

OK so after months of prodding from my wife I caved and we got 5 chicks this weekend, 2 buffs, 2 ameracuanas (i think I spelled it right) and 2 yellow ones that will grow into white hens with black spots, I forgot the name lol. So I spent the weekend working on a coop and Im almost done, still need to do some trim work, add roof, latches, add hardware cloth and install the big door. In one pic you can see the door leaning up against the side, I made it so that the whole wall will be hardware cloth and will open for easy maintenance. I made large vents all around the top of the other 3 sides for plenty of ventilation in our AZ summers. My question I have now is this, should I build a run or I would ideally like to fence off this whole side of the house in the pic below (don't judge me by the weeds I have 3 kids and a full time job and we NEVER go on this side of the house so it gets neglected) This side of the house is against the street and away from neighbors. I would love to just fence that off and let them have the full run of that side of the yard all day but worry about them jumping/flying to the top of the wall or over it. I know I can cut their flight feathers but still worry. What do you think I should do, let them have the run of that side or build a run for them. Also that side of the yard is 10 foot wide and in the shade all day but about an hour or so mid day. The coop is 4x4'

The coop looks good. Save yourself some trouble down the road by giving it a good thick coat of enamel paint inside and out, to stop the OSB from absorbing anything unpleasant, and it will be much easier to clean. What I would do is get some welded wire fencing from Tractor supply, attach it to the underside of your eaves, and across to the top of your block wall. the more room they have, the happier they will be, and they will be protected from predators of all kinds.

P.S. and the chickens will make short work of those weeds for ya!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom