Arizona Chickens

You don't have to break them up. You could get a few dog crates and put a hen in each crate until it lays. Keep the crates together and the hens won't be apart. Just a thought.
Have to see what I can do for that, I have a couple of crates I'm using at the moment plus xpens. Once I get few things done I could see about that. Be easier for that too once they're laying bit more regular. I got another blue today, but can't compare as I don't have the other eggs. Based on photo I took I think it's the same that Frankie laid. I haven't seen another of the other & that was laid first.

Right now I have to set up a small area for my poorly marked red laced polish roo baby (3months old) as my old english game bantam roos pick on him & he's so timid that he goes & hides under branches never to come out again. I brought him inside for a few weeks & put him out yesterday before bed when they get their treat. Shooed the lil brats away from him plus Sherlock stayed near me. He put himself to be with the others I have his age with no problem. This morning I get up & he's hiding under the branches. Since I was to be gone to the vet with my dane most of the day I brought him back inside. So, there'll be Sherlock's __________ for him & a girl or two. Fully enclosed so the brats can't get to him. I love those oegbs, but man can they be bratty as much as they are sweet.

Need a name for his coop/run. The whole area I'm working on will be Critter Corner. Yes, he's named after Sherlock Holmes cause he was a mystery for so long as to his variety. Right now the only name I'm getting is Sherlock's Den. I want to make it gothic arch style, curved along the lines of surfboard/parabola, or an eye for the coop. The run will probably just be squared around it all. Haven't decided that yet. Making it arched not sure that Den fits. Plus I think he need a name with pizzazz. For lack of another word. OK rambling.....open to ideas, suggestions.

Have to see what I can do for that, I have a couple of crates I'm using at the moment plus xpens. Once I get few things done I could see about that. Be easier for that too once they're laying bit more regular. I got another blue today, but can't compare as I don't have the other eggs. Based on photo I took I think it's the same that Frankie laid. I haven't seen another of the other & that was laid first.

Right now I have to set up a small area for my poorly marked red laced polish roo baby (3months old) as my old english game bantam roos pick on him & he's so timid that he goes & hides under branches never to come out again. I brought him inside for a few weeks & put him out yesterday before bed when they get their treat. Shooed the lil brats away from him plus Sherlock stayed near me. He put himself to be with the others I have his age with no problem. This morning I get up & he's hiding under the branches. Since I was to be gone to the vet with my dane most of the day I brought him back inside. So, there'll be Sherlock's __________ for him & a girl or two. Fully enclosed so the brats can't get to him. I love those oegbs, but man can they be bratty as much as they are sweet.

Need a name for his coop/run. The whole area I'm working on will be Critter Corner. Yes, he's named after Sherlock Holmes cause he was a mystery for so long as to his variety. Right now the only name I'm getting is Sherlock's Den. I want to make it gothic arch style, curved along the lines of surfboard/parabola, or an eye for the coop. The run will probably just be squared around it all. Haven't decided that yet. Making it arched not sure that Den fits. Plus I think he need a name with pizzazz. For lack of another word. OK rambling.....open to ideas, suggestions.

Named after Sherlock Holmes, huh? 221B Baker Street
is the London address of the fictional detective Sherlock Holmes.​

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I'm Yolanda, out here in Phoenix, AZ. Got my big walk in coop/duck pen built. I have an Ancona female, breeding pair of Muscovy, 3 Alohas chicks, 1EE, 1EE/Barred rock, 1 EE/?, A Bearded buff silkie, and coturnix quail. Trying to get started on my hobby/urban farm. Have gotten some lovelies donated. Like my Silkie and baclyard mixed chicks. Wanted to hello. Having trouble navigating the site and finding az people. If anyone has little loves (smallstock/livestock) they need to rehome. Please keep me in mind. Other than that, camt wait to get even more infomation from you awesome people!!!!

One of my favorite sentences has the word free in it!!

lol....that's part of the problem! I don't have gutters....my patio roof is relatively flat though. i did just chop more of my tree down so there's not much up there to prevent the eggs from rolling with the wind. except for any debris that might still be there.

My Australorps seem to want to stay on the ground all of the time. They have started breeding now, so I have fertilized eggs, and some in my incubator due to hatch on Monday if you want some of them. Some more are due to hatch on the 17th.

Anyone going to the state fair? I'm hoping to make it to see the pretty chickies. Not sure which day....preferably weekday when it won't be so crowded. I also need to find out if there'll be an issue with having my service dog in the poultry area....thinking the contact information on the registration form might tell me. Least, I hope!!!!

I found a home for Red!!!!! He's gone to live on a farm that's on reservation land in New Mexico. Only boy with a group of girls. Hoping that'll be good fit for him. Suppose to have quite a bit of area to roam. They know all about him attacking my chihuahua & still wanted him.
bun.gif

Persistant broody finally getting it done. Tried a couple times to break her but she has been insistant since mid August. Finally the summer heat started to abate, got her moved into a proper brood pen, gave her some fresh eggs to work with and today she finally succeeded. She is sitting a full dozen so the next couple days will be exciting.

Back
Top Bottom