Arizona Chickens

On a different note...

It's probably more than I can handle, but I want to start off with a dozen hens with a variety to curve that chicken math from the start...Twelve gals are enough for a single person, and I wanna bless some close friends from work and church with fresh eggs.

3 Delawares
3 Black Australorps
3 Ameraucanas
3 Sex Links (of some sort)

I don't want any flighty, skittish chickens, freaking out every time I enter the run.

I know there are local breeders around the area, but, I haven't kept up on all the reading, but from I've read, they are not sexed. Sex Links automatically speak for themselves, and I don't wanna end up with a bunch of cockerels.

It seems like the major hatcheries have a 25-chick minimum, which is way too much for me. I've read that My Pet Chicken accepts small orders, but their shipping is absolutely ridiculous.

Another option is ACE Hardware. I went there and saw a few chicks there. I was surprised they had black Jersey Giants. Supposedly, they get huge shipments to their major facility in Tucson and then distribute the chicks to all the local stores. Their last source was Ideal Poultry.

One store only gets a batch of 25 chicks per week (maybe), and when they start getting too big, they reduce the price to make room for more chicks. I know that everything I've mentioned is hatchery stock, but I don't want any SOP stock, just a few hens to enjoy their antics (with egg benefits) while observing them from my little deck. --BB

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

Purely Poultry has a smaller minimum as well. Another good place to check is facebook local buy and sell groups, if you're on facebook. There's like three of those groups for my area because we don't have a craiglist link for the Safford valley. I just sold a few extra Australorp pullets that way a few days ago. (or just check craigslist for your area)

http://localhens.com/farms/?q=&loc=Tucson,+AZ

http://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/directory

Another thing you can do is just google the breeds you're interested in. I've found quite a few breed specific national clubs that include a breeders directory on their website. People that have a vested interest in that breed.

If anyone near me is planning to do a Easter hatch and needs fertile eggs, I have the breeder quality Australorp fertile eggs here. These eggs will hatch out as being the Blue and Splash Australorps. I'm not going to do another hatch myself until towards fall. If you are interested in these for the Easter hatch, then send me a pm message here.

Edited update:

My next door neighbor said that I could sell some of her hatching eggs too, if someone needs them for the Easter hatch. She has a mixed flock though. Her flock is a Blue Australorp rooster over White Leghorns, RIR, and Easter Egger hens. From what I seen, to join in for this years BYC Easter hatchalong, they are wanting people to set them at noon on March 25th.

Last edited:
I just got my first lavender Orpington rooster !!
smile.png

Cool! That breed is a nice one, too!

Will a lavender roo over Easter egger hens produce colorful chicks ?
How about
Lavender x red
Lavender x blue
Lavender x black = black split to lav,right
Lavender x buff
Lavender x splash

I know it's a lot but if anyone can help I will appreciate it thanks :)

How about
Lavender x red
Lavender x blue
Lavender x buff
Lavender x splash

I know it's a lot but if anyone can help I will appreciate it thanks :)

Lavender is a recessive color and needs two copies of the gene to show in the progeny.

How about
Lavender x red
Lavender x blue
Lavender x buff
Lavender x splash

I know it's a lot but if anyone can help I will appreciate it thanks
smile.png

I believe that the colors might vary, because of the fact that they are not the same breed as the rooster.

Back
Top Bottom