Arizona Chickens

jumpy.gif
Got it!!
D.gif

Thank-you

Thank-you
LIke I said, I was just curious...
I post when I have something to say, or ask.... but since they have the statuses....
It is interesting to note...

I just typed it into their little search box here above and found it for you.

Put my 5 weeks old pullets outside in the grow out pen yesterday and they're doing great! They love the dirt and already made some dust bath holes. They haven't quite grasped the idea of a roost bar or even the enclose back area, they just sleep right out in the open area
1f602.png

Put my 5 weeks old pullets outside in the grow out pen yesterday and they're doing great! They love the dirt and already made some dust bath holes. They haven't quite grasped the idea of a roost bar or even the enclose back area, they just sleep right out in the open area
1f602.png

I just moved half of mine out today, but they're just a barely over 2 weeks. But I had to, I had 31 chicks in a 3x3 brooder and they were getting very crowded, so I just picked out the biggest and more vigorous ones. It's still getting a hair over freezing in the early mornings here, so I found a way to run power to the grow out pen and just put out a 50w black light bulb so they could have "something" for heat. They loved it out there, but I'll be checking on them alot tonight.

When I had my first batch of chickens,
D.gif

It was suggested to put a brick, a short 2x4 or some thick sticks in the brooder, so they would learn to roost from the beginning.
It was explained to me that it was healthier for them to roost above their waste, then to sit in it.
I'm sure they will get it in a couple of days, it should be second nature to them...
but
Maybe next time....

1f602.png

You can put a low-wattage red light on a timer in the enclosed area. Set it to go on at sunset. That will get the chicks to move into the enclosed area when it gets dark, until they figure out the roosting thing. Mine take anywhere from 8-14 weeks to learn to roost at night. I used to physically move them into the enclosed area of my coop/run. Every night. For weeks. This year I'm trying the red light and it's working. They are safely in the enclosed area, away from the door. Now I can open the door to the coop/run without squishing them in the dark. Life is good.

Quote:

You might want to use an infrared light instead of a black light. You can get a variety of infrared heat bulbs in the reptile section of most large pet stores. (The PetSmart stores in my area have a bunch of them.) Two week old chicks are still pretty small, and near-freezing temperatures are cold. I just put out all of my chicks, ranging from just over a week old to five weeks old, but I gave them a large Premier Heat Plate ("electric hen") (similar to an EcoGlow brooder but the leg height is easier to adjust), and I also gave them a 100W heat lamp that is set to come on when it gets dark. Soon I will switch the heat lamp over to a thermostat so it comes on when the temperature goes below 70. Fortunately my chicks are now in a large enough area they can get away from the heat if it is too much. I would be worried about them in the cold, though.

My broodies sit on their chicks at night until the chicks are about 6 weeks old, even when it is relatively warm out.

Link to the Premier brooder (aka "heat plate"):
https://www.premier1supplies.com/c/poultry-supplies/heating-plates-and-covers

Good luck!

You can put a low-wattage red light on a timer in the enclosed area. Set it to go on at sunset. That will get the chicks to move into the enclosed area when it gets dark, until they figure out the roosting thing. Mine take anywhere from 8-14 weeks to learn to roost at night. I used to physically move them into the enclosed area of my coop/run. Every night. For weeks. This year I'm trying the red light and it's working. They are safely in the enclosed area, away from the door. Now I can open the door to the coop/run without squishing them in the dark. Life is good.

Oh that's a good idea, I've also been manually moving them every night, though they don't usually stay
1f602.png
I've got a heat lamp and bulb, just no timer. I'm sure I can remember to plug in the extension cord at night though. I'll have yo set something up tomorrow.
When I had my first batch of chickens,  :cd
It was suggested to put a brick, a short 2x4 or some thick sticks in the brooder, so they would learn to roost from the beginning. 
It was explained to me that it was healthier for them to roost above their waste, then to sit in it. 
I'm sure they will get it in a couple of days, it should be second nature to them... 
but 
Maybe next time.... 

I do have a little roost in their brooder, and they used it on occasion, but I think the one in the coop might be a tad high for them, they could just step up on the one in the brooder, this one they would have to jump to

You might want to use an infrared light instead of a black light. You can get a variety of infrared heat bulbs in the reptile section of most large pet stores. (The PetSmart stores in my area have a bunch of them.) Two week old chicks are still pretty small, and near-freezing temperatures are cold. I just put out all of my chicks, ranging from just over a week old to five weeks old, but I gave them a large Premier Heat Plate ("electric hen") (similar to an EcoGlow brooder but the leg height is easier to adjust), and I also gave them a 100W heat lamp that is set to come on when it gets dark. Soon I will switch the heat lamp over to a thermostat so it comes on when the temperature goes below 70. Fortunately my chicks are now in a large enough area they can get away from the heat if it is too much. I would be worried about them in the cold, though.

My broodies sit on their chicks at night until the chicks are about 6 weeks old, even when it is relatively warm out.

Link to the Premier brooder (aka "heat plate"):
https://www.premier1supplies.com/c/poultry-supplies/heating-plates-and-covers

Good luck!

All we have here is Walmart that's stocked very poorly and a podunk little feed store. I'd have to mail order any outside of the norm. You got me all worried so I checked the forcast and it looks like things are warming up for the next few days around here. Lows of around 50 at night, which is more like 45 at our house because we live in a weird little vortex, but I'll take. Gonna go check on them right now.

Some of these Walmarts are absolutely pathetic. It seems like everything you want has to be ordered online at Walmart.Com or whatever. It's almost not worth the time to make the trip there. --BB

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

Some of these Walmarts are absolutely pathetic. It seems like everything you want has to be ordered online at Walmart.Com or whatever. It's almost not worth the time to make the trip there. --BB

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

I order so much off of ebay and amazon anymore. Some things we order through Walmart, but not much. Just got a thermostat controller off amazon and am working on converting an old mini fridge into a cabinet incubator. I've only had the chest cooler types until now. A project to keep me from buying more chicks... :p This way I'll only buy hatching eggs, because that's somehow better... right?

So, they did really well last night. I lowered the light further when I went out to check on them before bed. This morning half were still under the light, the other half had discovered how warm the sun is to bask in. Some are using the natural branch perches I put in there for them too. I love these birds!!

Back
Top Bottom