Arizona Chickens

Well, I'm officially retired now and have time to monitor that tarp. My structure is flat and easily take a broom and brush off the excess water. It won't be there 24/7, but it will be fastened with Eye-bolts when I need to attach it for longer periods of time. --BB

My husband and I figured out a pretty nifty way of dealing with those tarps. We inserted flexible PVC into flag pole holders we mounted to each side of each run, forming arches over which we can drape the tarps, and then secured the edges of the tarps with bungee cords looped through the grommet holes and wrapped around the top of each panel frame. It sort of forms a big umbrella-type look that lasts much longer than tarps simply stretched across flat, and it was really inexpensive to do.

Thanks DesertChic. I live in an HOA and can't have anything that may protrude above the walls to offend the neighbors. Home Owners Assassination. That's why my run is only five feet tall and have to stoop to walk throughout it. I'm only about 5'8", so it's no big deal. Otherwise, it would have been at least 6 feet tall. --BB

Thanks DesertChic. I live in an HOA and can't have anything that may protrude above the walls to offend the neighbors. Home Owners Assassination. That's why my run is only five feet tall and have to stoop to walk throughout it. I'm only about 5'8", so it's no big deal. Otherwise, it would have been at least 6 feet tall. --BB

Ugh! I hate HOAs! I'm so glad I don't have to deal with one.

And speaking from experience, as a person who's also 5'8" with one run that's only 5' tall, hunching over to navigate that low run is NOT a pleasant experience. I strongly encourage you to keep food and water as close to the door as possible.

Just curious but does the HOA allow chickens? Most that I'm aware of don't but I'd think there'd be some of the older HOA's that might. All the new HOA's are super-restrictive with all kinds of convoluted rules. Later down the road if you're able you might want to consider moving out a little ways where there aren't any restrictions on chickens. It's nice when your only limitation is how many you want to have (hens and cocks). I know every morning when I wake up I thank the good Lord I don't live where there's restrictions. Even with the HOA though being retired has got to be nice - good luck to ya.

The HOA does allow a "reasonable" (whatever that is) number of chickens. No roosters however.

I just refinanced my house this past August, and I believe somewhere in that contract that you have to remain in the house for at least five years and not rent it out to anyone, so I'm stuck here but can make it work.--BB

Last edited:
Thanks so much! You can see that this is basically four 8x8 squares, with the foundation being 2x6. They'll be covered when I get some deep litter in there. I also plan on adding planter boxes around the perimeter for some veggies. The hardware cloth will extend out under the boxes for at least 36 inches. No wild birds or other critters can get in. My little observation deck will be out in the open with a glider bench and umbrella (that park bench in the pic is history, now under my living room window), but the rest will be entirely screened in, including the roof. The best is yet to come when I add a coup in there.

It sounds like you made the right decisiosn, BB . Youre health is much more important.
Also do get into tha piano! I've got a baby grand that collects dust...need to get back into it as well XD

I had joined an informal group years ago where we would all meet at one's house on a Sunday afternoon, and took turns playing and discussed music. It was very educational but short-lived. I would consider hosting something like that, with some light snacks, playing on that big grand, and just simply sharing the love of music, no matter what level you may be. I'm not all that and a bag of chips, but I may surprise you with what I have.

I don't care if you can only play chop sticks. Everybody can bring something to the table. Oh, wait...this is a chicken thread. --BB

My husband and I figured out a pretty nifty way of dealing with those tarps. We inserted flexible PVC into flag pole holders we mounted to each side of each run, forming arches over which we can drape the tarps, and then secured the edges of the tarps with bungee cords looped through the grommet holes and wrapped around the top of each panel frame. It sort of forms a big umbrella-type look that lasts much longer than tarps simply stretched across flat, and it was really inexpensive to do.

Thanks so much. All I have to do is run a 2x4 under the tarp to create a slight slant. We don't get that much rain here, but the shade will be appreciated.

I had joined an informal group years ago where we would all meet at one's house on a Sunday afternoon, and took turns playing and discussed music. It was very educational but short-lived. I would consider hosting something like that, with some light snacks, playing on that big grand, and just simply sharing the love of music, no matter what level you may be. I'm not all that and a bag of chips, but I may surprise you with what I have.

I don't care if you can only play chop sticks. Everybody can bring something to the table. Oh, wait...this is a chicken thread. --BB
Hi Bobby,
I missed what area you are in.....
I work most Sundays, retail ;(
barnie.gif

but if I'm available a chicken/music group would be awesome
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom