Arizona Chickens

coming from another non expert i agree with rezia. 1 is not enough, she will get tired of him real quick. and 10 is too many, someone will get left out.
8 sounds good.

I love the chicken diapers :) Elvis is really tame, but I don't see him going for that anytime soon! Back in the other post about the dog igloo houses, you can often find them cheap on craigslist used.

I knew my AZ chicken lovers would have some great ideas! I think I'll start on a combination tarps and somewhere more enclosed for them to sleep. They get lots of Alfalfa to play in, and always the weed and tree trimmings to dig around in.
Right now they all sleep in the crates on the floor. It's the most open part of the whole coop and it just seems like a weird place for them to want to sleep! If I give them a cozier place to sleep like you all suggested, will they go in there on their own if it gets too cold? I just don't want them to be stubborn and freeze over by the crates.

Thought I would toss in a couple pix of my Serama pair coming home from school with me today. Everyone loves playing with my chickens, but they love the teeny tiny cart-ability of the serama haha.

Belle also got a new diaper today. I really like the buttons, make putting it on and taking it off so much easier on her.

I traveled to Gilbert to the wonderful home of Nurseshelly... 55 minutes there in rush hour 45 minutes back... 52 mile round trip, picked up the five little Icelandic chicks...2 white, 2 brown and one little light brown chipmunk-Drekki Jr. look alike (THANK YOU NURSESHELLY FOR INCUBATING THEM FOR ME!)... got home after dark. Before turning the light off in the coop, I noticed that Blucey was sitting in a nest box... so I may have another broody Icelandic.

I carefully put all five chicks underneath Ida and she seemed to immediately accept them and clucked to them and seemed to make room underneath her for them.

I'll be worried sick all night. I thought more than once about just putting them in the Laree brooder and keeping them alive, but I decided that Ida needs to become my Lukka if at all possible and I need to have faith.

So pray along with me and stay tuned.

PS... LOVED the little Seramas at Nurseshelly's home!! WOW! SO TINY AND CUTE!!!
You are welcome! I saw the picture a more recent photo and they look adorable with their new mommy! I'm glad she likes them!

The chicks probably think they got an incubator upgrade! The brown with white is my favorite :)

Here is my Ida with her five chicks. There are two browns... one with a white breast, a small light chipmunk and two blondies... I imagine those came from Cloud's eggs. I think the browns came from Rose's eggs and perhaps the light chipmunk came from Ida or Whitney. The only two that I am certain that the roo was frisky with were Cloud and Whitney, and of course, Icelandics are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get.

Awww cuties! I don't get any black chicks ... I do have some that end up being red laced blue / almost black, but no chicks with black down. Are you grinding their food up? My new ones will also eat crumble with some warm water over it to make it mushy.
Here they are the awaited pictures of my 4 Serama Chicks!
Berry, the dark one and the smallest. Toy, Twinkle and Tinsel.

Here is my Ida with her five chicks. There are two browns... one with a white breast, a small light chipmunk and two blondies... I imagine those came from Cloud's eggs. I think the browns came from Rose's eggs and perhaps the light chipmunk came from Ida or Whitney. The only two that I am certain that the roo was frisky with were Cloud and Whitney, and of course, Icelandics are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get.
Beautiful....I am getting chick fever!!!!

Sure do appreciate you nurseshelly for incubating my Icelandics with your plethora of cute little Seramas!!!

Thanks again!!!

Their Icelandic mama just loves them!!!

I'm so glad I opened the door to the pet carrier because she came out of it and she let go of a HUGE broody poop. Glad she kept her new nest CLEAN!

Awww cuties! I don't get any black chicks ... I do have some that end up being red laced blue / almost black, but no chicks with black down. Are you grinding their food up? My new ones will also eat crumble with some warm water over it to make it mushy.
Quote: Thanks, love to see pictures of yours. Will he be black? What do you think the others will be? I have them on med. chick starter and ground oat bran. Am I suppoised to ground their food when they get older? It is the growth crumble. I never raised Serama's before so anything you can tell me would be appreciated. One I noticed today is getting a kinky looking feathers and bet it will be frizzle. I doubt I will keep them all and not fond of frizzle. I am so excited my chicks hatched!

That isn't a chicken diaper! It is a chicken thong.

yuckyuck.gif

Back
Top Bottom