Arizona Chickens

I'm sure I would electrocute myself. The only predator we've had trouble with is my elderly greyhound. Go figure. Although I've seen coyotes elsewhere in the neighborhood (as well as a bobcat), we've never had anything enter the fenced in yard that I've seen. We don't have any hawks that roost nearby. Maybe it's the three dogs ...

There are plenty of predators you never see, even in central Tucson. Go back thru the last few months of posts and check it out. I will make a bet that Oro Valley will be quite a bit worse. Many people lose chickens to local dogs, a particularly bad pit bull was put down in Marana last month, this guy was responsible for over 150 chicken dinners. An even bigger problem is urban coyotes, and suburban bobcats seem to be on the rise.
A dog can wipe out your entire flock in minutes. At least the semi-wild coyotes and bobcats will usually only grab what they can run with, but they just learned where an easy meal is, they will be back for more.

Is there a way to delete a post? I forgot to quote someone...so I came to edit this, but can't figure out how to delete...so, I posted another message below with my quote. 

No, you can't completely delete it. I usually just wipe the text, then type in post deleted. I did one a few days ago where I responded to a text message, then realized I just posted my text on the forum! Major cranial gas.

BTW, welcome to BYC!

There are plenty of predators you never see, even in central Tucson. Go back thru the last few months of posts and check it out. I will make a bet that Oro Valley will be quite a bit worse. Many people lose chickens to local dogs, a particularly bad pit bull was put down in Marana last month, this guy was responsible for over 150 chicken dinners. An even bigger problem is urban coyotes, and suburban bobcats seem to be on the rise.
A dog can wipe out your entire flock in minutes. At least the semi-wild coyotes and bobcats will usually only grab what they can run with, but they just learned where an easy meal is, they will be back for more.

I just sold some chickens to a gal who lives up near Queen Creek who told me their story of a neighborhood dog which went on a killing rampage at their place a while back----killed a goat, numerous chickens and geese, ducks. Turned out the dog had killed at other neighbor's places as well. Dead dog now, good riddance. Yes dogs can be the worst. This one apparently tore through a lot to get at the animals.

Unless you set up a game camera, you would not know what all was lurking. And new predators move in. I hope raccoons never move in over here. They are bad poultry predators and I know a guy who was trapping a lot of them in his yard up near Oracle/Ina Rds area.

Unless you set up a game camera, you would not know what all was lurking. And new predators move in. I hope raccoons never move in over here. They are bad poultry predators and I know a guy who was trapping a lot of them in his yard up near Oracle/Ina Rds area.

There is an irrigation canal that runs alongside the freeway at Marana (actually Sandario) Road. I have seen raccoon tracks there, because the area is heavily overgrown with brush (I was stopping to check out a bobcat that had been hit by a car). Hopefully, the raccoons will stay with the water, and not come foraging in town.

An EGG was in the nest box!!!! AN EGG!!!!!!!!
yippiechickie.gif
Our very first good little brown egg.
ya.gif
WOWEE! So eggcited when I opened the lid and there it was. Never ever had chickens before, so this is a big deal here.
love.gif
wee.gif

The girls are 21 weeks old today. No more store-bought eggs pretty soon.

UPDATE, 6:30pm: ANOTHER nice little brown egg in the nest box!!!! WHOOHOO!

I just sold some chickens to a gal who lives up near Queen Creek who told me their story of a neighborhood dog which went on a killing rampage at their place a while back----killed a goat, numerous chickens and geese, ducks. Turned out the dog had killed at other neighbor's places as well. Dead dog now, good riddance. Yes dogs can be the worst. This one apparently tore through a lot to get at the animals.

I didn't know we even had raccoons here in southern Arizona.

Back
Top Bottom